Ok, getting settled into the new place..Crop Question? Farm Stand?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    and I am planning crops for next year. I am darn near giddy with excitement over this new property. I am wanting to do close to 400 tomato plants to start.. Anybody here farm for tomato's at all? Our local farmers market is really sort of a high end, all organic, top dollar type of operation. Didn't realize it till the weekend I moved in. Sorta lucked into a deal of a lifetime for a piece of property with a free house. I am thinking an Acre of tomato plants, half an acre to vining plants and half an acre of sweet corn (so I can deer hunt)...

Want to hear from folks who sell from a farm stand, farmers market etc. I have a great piece of property that drains west to east towards the river, mostly wooded with several clearings that were used for row crops in the last 30 years.. I've read that the average harvest for tomato's is 18 tons per acre, and with tomato's going for 1.79 a pound out here.......... [​IMG]

Any input would be great!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I caught that "per acre" before you fixed it! [​IMG] I have nothing else to say. HAHAHA!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I basically just have a big garden for us and our neighbors- but tomatoes are the biggest draw (besides my eggs). I know a lot of the farms around here keep the money coming in all season by selling heirloom plants in the spring, tomotoes when they're ripe, and canned goods later on. If you guys are into canning- have some ready when you sell your tomotoes. What you don't sell can go right into the pantry [​IMG]

Are you planning on beekeeping as well? Honey is always a good "impulse buy", and it will help you get more out of your crops. Not like you don't already know that- but I've been on a pro-bee kick lately.

Congrats on the new land!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't know it is even a good idea,but I would create a variety or small pots in case of disease.This way you would not lose the entire crop.I have tomatoes in 3 areas,and one plot is getting spots;thankfully only the leaves and not the tomatoes!Same thing with my lions tail flowers-something is eating it in the spotty tomato plot,but I have others planted around the yard untouched. I am so frustrated with things that kill my plants. I could only imagine how mad I would be if I was trying to sell the stuff I grow.

If you have the time for it you could still get in a decent fall crop.I was just reading up on it and looking through my seeds to see what I can still plant for the year. I am hoping to dig up some more of my lawn in the next few days.Less to cut;More to eat.

5. Do pumpkins and gourds grow well there? They are a good money crop too and sell really well at the roadside market. I have that plan to try next year. . .some unusual pumpkins as well as the old standard jack-o-lantern type. Tomatoes are great; do you plan to be organic, because there is a long list of don't I think that can't have happened on the property and surrounding properties for 3 years if I remember right.

Is the house ok to live in? How is the new baby and your daughter? Haven't read anything lately, and I usually watch for your posts because I like your take on life.

6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:[​IMG] I've been busier than a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs! Ash's Chemo is starting up after sugary Thursday morning. Tonsils and Adenoids come out next.....Baby is getting pretty big now [​IMG]

House was fixed over the coarse of the last month or so before the big push to move... [​IMG]

7. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Vine crops like cuke's, pumpkins and squash/gourds seem to do pretty good here.. But not sure if I want to devote that large of an area to Pumpkins.. Hm.. Have to think on that!

8. Amyable

Amyable Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Congrats on the new place Boyd! How exciting [​IMG] While I don't have direct experience selling from a stand or market, it is something I want to do in the near future. To set yourself apart from other farm stands, how about growing rare/odd varieties of veggies? Still have some common standbys, but also include heirlooms. Tomatoes are a good one, there are SO many different kinds it boggles the mind; you can grow plain ol' red beefsteaks and also offer yellow pears, purple cherries, green, orange, striped salad tomatoes....... heirlooms also fare better in times of stress than hybrids, and you can save your own seeds.

Selling starts in spring could be good too. There is a garden society near here that has an annual heirloom plant sale, 3-4" pots for $3 a pop.

I'd suggest starting with fairly easy crops and working your way into more labor intensive ones later. Ask around and see what people would be interested in buying locally. Try to find a need or niche. Also, do you have good exposure where you are or would you have to sell off-site?

9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I actually have a pretty good setup to sell on site, my house is the 2nd one south of a major intersection (I know I know, moved from the sticks to the outskirts of the city) so any stand or sign will get 270 degrees of exposure to traffic [​IMG]

Wanting to grow organically without the title of "organic" and use heirloom varieties in general [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I actually have a pretty good setup to sell on site, my house is the 2nd one south of a major intersection (I know I know, moved from the sticks to the outskirts of the city) so any stand or sign will get 270 degrees of exposure to traffic [​IMG]

Wanting to grow organically without the title of "organic" and use heirloom varieties in general [​IMG]

Homegrown, natural and heirloom are all good catch words: "Natural, homegrown heirloom vegetables and fruits: _______ is in season and available NOW."

Pick Your Own places are popular here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by