OK Goat People, I Need Your Advice!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Preservation Acres, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I need to build a goat fence...a huge, 25 acre goat fence, and I'm not independently wealthy. The perimeter of the property has a 3-strand barbed wire fence that I may be able to modify.

Please see this website:

http://www2.luresext.edu/goats/training/facilities.html#8

Scroll down to the section "8-10 Strand Barbed Wire Fence"

Is this a good option?

Thanks!

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I hate barbed wire. Period. [​IMG] I'd stick with hi-tensile wire or wire mesh.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Do you really need the goats to be able to roam all 25 acres? I'd just put aside a little plot for 'em using an electric fence.

4. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Barbed wire will NOT keep your goats in. They can easily fit under, over, through and most are small enough they can fit between the actual barbs. If you put several strands of barbed wire close together, you're asking for trouble as they will get caught and cut - goat's don't respect fencing so you need to build something strong.

For a peice of land that size for goats, you might be better off with electric, assuming it's mostly pasture. If it's mixed pasture and woodland, you just have to be sure you get a powerful enough charger and use hi-tensile wire. 25 mile chargers cost upwards of $200, and the supplies (like wire, insulators, posts) would add to that cost as well. We ended up using trees as posts, which helped that part.

I agree with burquechick - it might be more useful to you to section off the land, and set up temorary electric fencing that you can move every few months. You'll never be out of browsing food for your goats as you'll be rotating them through.

5. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Barbed wire is no good for goats. They get down on there knees and litterly crawl under it. They are like having houdinis escaping. I would go with eliectric fencing and they will learn to stay in. Hope this helps Jess

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Hi-Tensile, hands down. Five or six strands.

About $100 for a 4,000' spool of wire.. Can go many, many feet in between posts, which cuts down on the cost of posts. Really only need wood posts at ends, corner, and where there are and big 'dips' in the ground. Metal t-posts on 'humps' and at maybe 50'-100' intervals otherwise.

Don't waste your money on crimps and a crimping tool, either -- get the twist tool to connect your strainers, and splice the wire together with a square knot. Cheap, easy, and very secure.

Drive at least 3 ground rods into the ground.. If you can't go 8' straight down with a 5/8" rod, bury them at an angle.

Buy more charger than you think you could ever need...for 25 acres, go with a 50mi charger at least. They're $119 at TSC.

With 5-6000 volts running through your fence, your goats won't go anywhere. [​IMG]

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Please dont use the Barbed Wire..

Ive seen a goats udder ripped by the stuff. Not a pretty sight.

Goats will always try to get out.. Its a challenge..

8. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks folks!

OK, I'm sold. I'll get electrical wire and run several strands between the barbed wire. The electric wire will be a couple of inches in front of the barbed wire, so the first contact with the animals will be with the electric wire and not the barbed wire.

How does that sound?

9. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Personally (and IMHO) I would remove the barbed wire all together. It's not needed if you are putting the electric up. I do have barbed wire, but it's only in the cow fields so the goats only go around it when I take them on walks. I can't tell you how many times they've lost fur or gotten scratched from it (which is why walks are limited in that part of the field).

It wouldn't be much more work since you'll already be going along the fence line.

10. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yeah, same here. I think the electric will suffice. A lot of my family live on farms and have goats. I've never seen them use barbed wire. Just electric. And most don't even have it high enough that you can't just step over it! Seems to work really well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by