OK, got a good pic of their heads, so are these turkeys Toms?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chicmom, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    [​IMG]

OK, here they are, a blue slate and a royal palm, and I bought them as day old poults on May 20th. So they're four months old. The RP will gobble, and displays sometimes when he's upset (like if a new person comes around), and the BS has never displayed yet, or gobbled.

What do you guys think?

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Looks like the RP is a tom and the BS is a hen. The RP is gobbling, the snood is hanging down, and the waddle and caruncles appear slightly more developed than in the slate. The slate has finer features all around, andhas the trace of feathering extending up the back of the neck. A blue slate tom should be noticably larger than a RP tom at that age as well, and it looks like the slate may be a little smaller (hard to tell in the photo).

3. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, thank you, and I am hoping you're right! Here's another recent pic, but they're posing kind of strangely.

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They are always together, and I was hoping for a tom and a hen, but I really like them both. I am not sure that I can eat them......My husband keeps telling me they'll get mean....I really would love to see some eggs next spring......

I've never even had a broody hen hatch babies before, so that would be such a neat experience.....

Thanks for your input!
    Sharon

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    we used to have an old, old turkey hen... that during cetain times of the breeding season.. she would strut and kinda gobble...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by