1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok groundhogs-woodchucks wont hurt the chickens? just saw one at coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sonew123, May 31, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok not sure if it was a groundhog or woodchuck-either or I thumbed through the posts on them and it has been said they are vegitarians? so they are not coming after my chickens? They are coming after their food? anyone have one attack the chickens? kill? what to do?

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Like other rodents, I bet they would eat an egg if they could get one. But, generally, they are vegetarian.

3. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Groundhog/woodchuck~same thing

They are herbivores. They will eat grubs and bugs as well as greens. They love gardens! Your chickens are fine but they may eat eggs. Maybe they are going after the feed.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

How many chickens would a woodchuck eat just doesnt work right. [​IMG]

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure they adore chicken feed too.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The only problem with woodchucks is the tendency for them to dig pretty extensive burrows. If they burrow near your coop/sheds they can actually undermine your structure. My mother had a woodchuck set up house under a set of concrete steps, causing the whole massive staircase to sink into the burrow. The steps canted away from the house leaving a rather big gap between house and top step, requiring a very expensive fix. They can also cause broken ankles in cattle, horses and humans when you step into one of their holes without warning. Woodchucks are not dangerous in themselves, but they can be a real nuisance because of their digging.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would have to disagree with you on this thought, get between babies and momma, or corner one on the porch, and those things can be preaty dangerous. [​IMG]

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:I would have to disagree with you on this thought, get between babies and momma, or corner one on the porch, and those things can be preaty dangerous. [​IMG]

I agree with this. We had a huge woodchuck living in a wood pile. The thing actually killed a couple cats. We were afraid to go near the area. When they got rid of it, it put up a fight.

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I know a lady who lost a large Boxer who got into a fight with a groundhog.. The groundhog bit the Boxer's tongue really badly and the poor fella lost a lot of blood.. The vets apparently also mentioned the possibility that a clot moved from the wound into the brain, causing the dog to have a stroke. It soldiered on for a few days, but they eventually had to put it down.

Personally, I'd kill a groundhog any chance I got.. They burrow around in my barn and wreak havoc, plus they'll eat your garden..

There's also nothing quite like that breathtaking feeling when you're bushhogging a hillside and your downhill rear tire sinks into a burrow and puts you -- very quickly -- even more off center than you expected to be. Scary stuff.

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire

I agree with this. We had a huge woodchuck living in a wood pile. The thing actually killed a couple cats. We were afraid to go near the area. When they got rid of it, it put up a fight.

Any animal when cornered will put up a fight, they will fight a dog to the death if necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by