Ok guinea experts.......

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Struttn1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I bought the eggs from a guy with a large flock of pearl grays but what is the deal with the white one? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Evidentally, the next door guinea snuck over one night. [​IMG]

No, seriously, one of his pearls must carry this white gene. I have 2 whites, some pearls, 2 royal purples, and some french guineas.

3. The genetics of Guineas are similar to that of chickens.

Depending on the MOM and DAD you can get a color that is
    not the color of either parent.

White is a common color in this situation. Just be happy you got one as they grow to be VERY PRETTY birds.

If you would like to see what OTHER colors Guineas can and do come in see this.....

http://guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/colors/index.html

Guineas are remarkable birds and many people do not realize that they come in a variety of colors.

There are even "french" Guineas that are about a third larger than a regular Guinea fowl.

Guineas come from the African plains and are HARDWIRED to be very flighty and weary.

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Weary is right. These buggers rate right up there with the orphaned wild mallards I raised last year as being "touch me nots". [​IMG]

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    You should love them. Guineas are my favorite, they look like a group of army helmets moving through the weeds. I just hatched 12 keets. I never pen mine up, so every year I play find the easter egg. LOL And I do love the white ones too.
    Terri

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They look like dinosaurs at all stages in their life. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: