OK, Guys & Gals, I pick them up 2morrow...

bionic_chicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Spring, TX
I've read 2 Chicken books. I've been on the forum for a month. I've really tried to prepare. But in the excitement, I'm forgetting the small details that mean everything. Like, do I change the babies' litter daily? If so, for how long? I plan on putting them on pine shavings covered by paper towels for 2-3 days. I've got 10 lb. medicated feed and 7 chicks tomorrow. How long will that last? Should I, or should I not, use the round feeder I bought? I see alot of your picks with feed in a lid or other shallow dish. I'm a real "by the book" kind of person, so I really want to do this right. My goal is no losses. Any advice from you pros would be so very welcome! And, don't worry, I'll post pics tomorrow when we get home! I've got to brag!!!
jumpy.gif

Going to church! I'll be running to this thread when I get home! Thank you!

Last edited:
with 7 chickies 10lbs feed should last 2wks or a tad more.an you change the shavings every 3 or 4 days.that keeps the smell down.

Any type of feeder should be fine as long as they can get to eat. Also, check it every so often to clean any shavings or pooy from it. Relax and enjoy them tomorrow. They are so cute and fun!!!

Last edited:
I would just put layers of paper towels down over the shavings. That way all you have to do is pick up a layer everyday. Chicks tend to be stinky!

As for the round feeder, I would say it would be just fine! That is what I have used and will continue using. I haven't had any problems with it! There are so many different products on the market for raising chicks. You just use the ones that work best for you. Good luck and I'm excited to see the pics!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom