1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok guys Help me sex my new BLUE LACED REDS!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 29, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Just got these month old chicks in the mail, anyone have any idea what gender they are?

Suspect #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspect #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought they were going to be the black variety, but i think they are turning color, they look like dark blue laced red to me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    They all look like roosters to me by the really red combs. Though the first one is not AS red, so MAYBE female.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I was thinking #1 might be a pullet, but the other two look like boys to me, too.

5. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well i hope at least 1 of them is a pullet.. Geez that kinda sucks.. Guess its always a gamble with chicks, but i literally have no need for another rooster. Guess i will have to eventually get rid of them.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Wyandottes can be weird. I'd wait and see. Mine all had pink combs VERY early and turned out to be girls. One had a pink comb at three days - not very pink, but pink nonetheless. And now she's a big fat hen. [​IMG]

7. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    At what stage will it be painfully obvious? 8 weeks? I am going to hang onto them for a while regardless, but i just wanna kinda gauge when it will be definitive.

thanks for all the help,

Nate

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm guessing they are all roos. Whomever sent them to you was probably well aware of that as well. Not a very nice thing to do.

9. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Seriously? They came from a Member on this forum named HeatherL. She also just sent me a message when she was packaging them up saying that "one of them is definitely a hen, but i dunno about the other two." It would kinda suck to get 3 roo's on purpose, but i wont jump to conclusions just yet, maybe we will get surprised? [​IMG].. Assuming usually ends up making me look like a fool..

10. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I would say 1 hen and 2 roos but they can really be tricky to sex this young. We raised our group up and I swore up and down they were all roos around this age. Luckily that was not the case!

Brandon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by