OK guys, make me feel better.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just went to see my school advisor here at the college. I was expecting to graduate this spring and I thought I only needed four more classes according to my transcripts and major requirements. What my advisor neglected to tell me was that I actually need four additional classes in the sciences to graduate with a BS. So instead of getting out in four years, it looks like I will have to be here another semester. That's not so bad, but all the people I know are graduating this spring (with the exception of my room mate who might stay an extra semester. That would work out well for me actually) and I won't be able to walk with any of them at graduation. Also, I have a full scholarship (minus housing costs) and it only covers four years. So that means I will have to pay for the rest of my schooling out of pocket.

I'm just so mad right now about the horrible and conflicting information my advisor gave me. Last semester he said I would only need to take four more classes. I thought I was keeping track of the classes I needed well enough, but he showed me this whole other section of requirements I didn't even know about. I also spent so much time taking classes for this silly honors program I was accepted into and those took up the 20 credits I should have spent taking biology courses.

I keep trying to look at the good in this. At least I have another semester to figure out what I will do after school and I can apply to internships for this summer since I will still be a student. I can also put off GREs until the summer. I'll also still be covered under my dad's insurance for some extra time. My main stressor right now is the cost of all this. I'm also bummed about having to stay so much longer while most of my friends move on. Ugh, stupid life! Always throwing surprises!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    That does stink when something unexpected like this pops up, but you can look at it this way: At least you are only having to pay for one semester of all your schooling, and not all of it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Been there hun...my advisor was worthless. Absolutely worthless. He ridiculed the classes I was attempting, wanted to know what I was doing in the future...just a complete ass.

I'm doing the same thing you are at the moment. Good news is...there ARE other scholarships out there for those of us who are nontraditional (which you are now! Congrats!)

Contact your financial aid office, fill out your FAFSA. Pell Grants are good ways to knock out some of the costs and you can apply for other grants also!

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I'm mostly just upset because this was so unexpected! Though its not like I knew what I wanted to do after graduation anyways, so it might actually be a blessing in disguise.

RoPo, I actually have a couple of loans for housing. My dad said we can just take out some more to cover what I need to. I will probably fill out some additional scholarship applications to try and cover as much as I can. I might also go to the financial aid office to speak to someone there. There's a chance I may be able to get them to cover the last semester since I haven't hit 128 credits yet and I still don't have my major.

5. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I had something similar happen to me. I was going to have to go a whole additional semester just to get 4 silly credits that my adviser had overlooked. I still remember that icy feeling in the pit of my stomach when I thought I'd have to stick around a whole extra summer and fall in order to take those classes! Luckily for me, I had changed my major so many times that the head of my department was able to negotiate with the heads of other departments and get my remaining credits substituted for similar ones I'd already taken. I'm pretty sure he had to call in a couple personal favors, too, but I was able to graduate that Spring. I'd definitely talk to the financial aid department and see what they can do as well. If all else fails, one semester of loans is better than 4 or 5! You can also look at it as an opportunity to meet a whole new batch of people who are interested in the same things as you.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Can you double up? I screwed around my first two years....then when it came down to it, I realized I would have to go 5 years to finish. Went double full time my last two QUARTERS to make it to graduation time. 24 units one quarter, 25 units the next. It actually worked out really well [​IMG]

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think I have eight classes left so I would have to take 32 credits. I don't even know if they would allow that, but I probably would try if I could! I wish I had known how far behind I was earlier because I'm sure I could have fit those four extra classes in somewhere.

I think what I might do is take five next semester and my lab. I'm going to look and see if the school is offering online summer classes for three out of the eight and I'll take those over the summer. Otherwise I might just stay for the summer semester so I don't have to come back in the Fall.

I spoke to my mom and she made me feel a lot better about it. It's really not that big a deal and it might actually work out to my benefit having that extra time to decide what to do!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    my husband had the same crapola happen to him. thought he "had" enough credits etc.... when he was about to finish up...NO!! he needs like 3 more classes. very frustrating. sorry its happening to you. sounds like it happens alot all over this country. (hugs) [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Have you taken any classes that don't count towards your major? I was able to "petition" some classes in place of others. Not like underwater basket weaving in place of advanced genetics or anything like that.....but if they are both of similar "level" and you have a good reason for it.....it may work. I was able to petition some animal classes OUT and used business classes in place of them. After 3 years of an animal science major, I decided I should really have done business instead. So petitioned out of the very specialized animal classes and put more advanced business ones in place of them. Who needs Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals when you are not going to work directly with animals? I took some advanced business management classes instead.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Anyway you can cram them in this next semester? Like night or weekend or online classes or something??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by