Ok guys, this NEWB has a question...

lickskillet

*Home of the Shoveler*
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Kentucky
I was given 12 eggs from a neighbor to try out our new Genesis 1588 (x-mas present, YEAH ME). Today is day 9 for us, and have candeled before at days 3 and 6. On day 3, 1 egg looked to be TOO porous and not fertile, 2 more just didn't have any veining start, so not fertile. On the day 6 candeling, all looked the same as day 3. Now on day 9 of candeling the three bad eggs look the same but have a NEW egg with I think a blood ring starting. My question is how does the bacteria affect one egg and not the others and why now all of a sudden? I make sure and wash my hands before candeling, and never have the eggs out for more than a few minutes at a time (just long enough to candel). Did I BREATHE on it wrong or something? LOL Thanks, Jen...
smile.png

Here's another question, for people who take photos of their eggs during candeling, what are the settings your using on your camera? I tried DUH, with flash, without flash, macro w/without flash. Am I missing a magic button on my camera? I would like to post a picture of the blood ring. Thanks... Jen P.S. Camera is a Canon Powershot.

I would wait till day 12ish before tossing any out !! Somtimes its hard to tell till then. by then you should see a "blob" in the egg anything clear is a bad/dud egg.

Okie-dokie, I'll wait till day 12ish, I was just worried about the egg with possible blod spot and explosions. Thanks for your replies. Jen
smile.png

I candle at day 10, no earlier. I am extremely careful as to the positioning of the egg during handling. I do not turn the egg except around, not up and down.

I put the egg in until day 18-19 and then remove the turner. I am using the egg carton method these days, but have just put them in the bator with out much problems.

I will candle at day 18 while I am taking out the turner.

yes wait till day 12 atleast before tossing any day 3,6 and 8 sometimes you may not see what your looking for so it is best to wait till day 12. I am just now learning how to candle and learned a hard lesson to wait before tossing anything!

I don't even give up on eggs due to hatch on day 21 I wait to atleast day 26 before I candle again and give up. Lessons Learned Believe me!

I dont think bacteria has much to do with quitters. I think its a random lethal combination of genes. Some Genes don't mesh an when they come on line the chick dies. Chickens have been hatching eggs in non sterile environments for ever.

Yes, there is a difference between a blood ring and a bacteria ring. A blood ring forms when the embryo has died, all the blood pools to the 'bottom' of the egg, forming a ring. A bacteria ring can be present even when the embryo is still alive, though they do die from it.

I use macro without flash for my candling pics. It depends on how bright your light is whether or not it will show up, and the quality of your camera. I don't think that is too much of a factor, since mine is not high-tech by any means!

Thanks everyone for all of your info. and suggestions. I do believe that the ring i'm seeing is a bacteria one and not a blood ring, as it's on the side of the egg and not the bottom. I WILL HAVE PATIENCE, I will, I will, I will!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom