1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK...Have I sank to a new level of chicken addiction?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmtillman, May 1, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

My 4 week old chickens love worms....[​IMG] I usually gather them from the compost pile and toss and hand feed a few to the girls each day. ( along with chick grit ) Now, when my girls see me head towards the compost , they KNOW I am bringing back worms!
    They line up in anticipation for me to come back to them with a handful for them! [​IMG] They have ME trained well.....[​IMG]
    So.... late last night , with my flashlight in hand, as I was making my nightly predator check around the run and yard...
    ( and to check the live trap !)
    ...... I happened to notice giant night crawlers were out...millions of them!!!!!
    So, here I am in my night gown, slippers, and robe, but , I grabbed the dogs water dish and spent the next hour and a half hunting nightcrawlers for my girls to enjoy today!!
    I have not hunted nightcrawlers since I was a kid and we gathered them to fish with!!!
    It took a while to get back the 'stealth tactic' needed to sneak up on them! I am not as fast as I use to be....[​IMG]
    But ,eventually I remembered my method, and I was snagging them, just like I did 45 years ago!!!
    Yep...now I know I am truely at the mercy of my chickens.....[​IMG]

2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    That is just too darn cute!!!!!!![​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great story!

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    awwwwwww those are some lucky chooks!

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    What lucky hens to have you. [​IMG] Are you that good to hubby too?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    that is so stinking funny, I love it.[​IMG]

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I have never tried catching night crawlers. I've fished with them but only those I've purchased at a bait shop. How funny! Your chickens are ruined.

8. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Chickens are such addictive creatures. I sold one of my hens yesterday because she was an escape artist. And I feel so guilty. She just looked at me and cooed as the sale went on. My conscience is bothering me about it. So, I understand why you were out catching worms for your girls.

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:What exactly is a night crawler! Sounds scarey!![​IMG]

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

A night crawler is just a very large earthworm...that comes out at night in the spring after a rain. You can see them laying on top of the ground , but......you have to sneak up on them, as they quickly slip back into the ground, if they feel the slightest vibration of your feet.
    So you have to creep along very softly and not make a sound.
    And you cannot shine your light directly on them either...worms dont have eyes , but them little buggers can 'feel' the light and they are gone in a blink of an eye.
    As kids it was one of our favorite pastimes....we would sell them as bait to the old guys around our area. LOL! I teach all my grandkids about them...every kid needs to experience catching nightcrawlers! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by