OK...Have I sank to a new level of chicken addiction?

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
My 4 week old chickens love worms....
jumpy.gif
I usually gather them from the compost pile and toss and hand feed a few to the girls each day. ( along with chick grit ) Now, when my girls see me head towards the compost , they KNOW I am bringing back worms!
They line up in anticipation for me to come back to them with a handful for them!
droolin.gif
They have ME trained well.....
idunno.gif

So.... late last night , with my flashlight in hand, as I was making my nightly predator check around the run and yard...
( and to check the live trap !)
...... I happened to notice giant night crawlers were out...millions of them!!!!!
So, here I am in my night gown, slippers, and robe, but , I grabbed the dogs water dish and spent the next hour and a half hunting nightcrawlers for my girls to enjoy today!!
I have not hunted nightcrawlers since I was a kid and we gathered them to fish with!!!
It took a while to get back the 'stealth tactic' needed to sneak up on them! I am not as fast as I use to be....
old.gif

But ,eventually I remembered my method, and I was snagging them, just like I did 45 years ago!!!
Yep...now I know I am truely at the mercy of my chickens.....
bow.gif

It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Chickens are such addictive creatures. I sold one of my hens yesterday because she was an escape artist. And I feel so guilty. She just looked at me and cooed as the sale went on. My conscience is bothering me about it. So, I understand why you were out catching worms for your girls.

A night crawler is just a very large earthworm...that comes out at night in the spring after a rain. You can see them laying on top of the ground , but......you have to sneak up on them, as they quickly slip back into the ground, if they feel the slightest vibration of your feet.
So you have to creep along very softly and not make a sound.
And you cannot shine your light directly on them either...worms dont have eyes , but them little buggers can 'feel' the light and they are gone in a blink of an eye.
As kids it was one of our favorite pastimes....we would sell them as bait to the old guys around our area. LOL! I teach all my grandkids about them...every kid needs to experience catching nightcrawlers!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom