1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok have many question about chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosebuddhorse, Mar 18, 2012.

1. rosebuddhorse

rosebuddhorse New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    texas
    1 have two baby chick with a hen i used chicken scrach ground it up and a lilllte cat food in the grind as there any thing else that i should give them had them a week now and there still looking great .
    2 hens and babys how mush room should they have in a coop im making one now have the frame up it making pen 2ft by 3 ft is that too small?
    3 what age can we take the chicks from the hen?
    4 will hen start laying eggs again once we take the chicks away?

2. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver

1. If it was me, I'd buy a bag of starter / grower feed, but obviously that isn't required. Scratch by itself isn't that great and personally I don't feed my chickens any 'meat', or whatever is in cat food these days.

2. Hen(s) and babies? How many total just 3? 2ft by 3ft is only 6sq feet... big enough for 1 hen and 2 chicks but probably too small for 3 full grown birds... definitely too small.

3. Take them where? You can take them 'away from mom' when they are still eggs, so there is no rule. These aren't cats that need to be weened. Edited to add - However, if Mom is their only source of heat, - no heat lamp, etc, then that changes things a bit.

4. Yes, if not sooner.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. rosebuddhorse

rosebuddhorse New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    texas
    thank for the help it been a while since we had chickens and turkey as kids but not sure what im doing we cant have rooster in town but getting eggs from differant county and bring them to a hom made incabator yes i know i speeled that wrong it 4:30 am here and neeed coffee by the way who the kitty in the pic yours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by