ok hawk flies on my poarch now what

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Oct 2, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok how do i keep these things away from here? my chickens free range unless we are not here(unless i just have to run up the raod) i sure dont want to have to worry about a hawk all the time. what can i do???

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Lock up your chickens in the coop as free range chickens are an opened buffet to hawks. If your chickens are locked up then it's buffet closed for any hawk and they'll go elsewhere to find food

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    just for a little while?

4. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Yes because if hawks see your chickens it'll be an easy meal for them

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i was getting ready for church hubby said better come get your chickens a hawk just flew across the poarch. all three hens were on the poarch. he said they flew up into the glass door to get from the hawk. daisey must have jumped off the poarch and ran under it cause there she was. i was so worried when i couldnt see her with the others. hubby said need to put them up i agreed i figured it would come back. i have recently discovered i HATE hawks!!! so just keep them in for a couple days? i could sit outside with them while they were out. can you not kill a hawk if it threatens your animals?

6. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hawks are a protected species so it's illegal to shoot them. But just keep watch over your chickens that way any aerial predator can't get them

7. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah leave them locked up until the hawk just gives up. you can try a scarecrow or hanging up cds to flash light. Ive also heard of people having luck with hawk decoys to prevent them from coming in.

8. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Hey,
    It must be open season.
    Do you know what kind of Hawk?
    We've had red tails that have swooped down at my dog, and cat, even when I within a few feet. (summer and spring) They have left the chickens alone.

We just had an episode today with a chicken hawk, much smaller, but in my opinion, hateful and studpid!!! They just are sooo agressive and persistent and obviously do not fear humans/dogs, etc.

Keep the chicks secure as possible for the fall season. Try to identify it and learn of it's profile/behaviour and sounds. Keep an ear out, if they are around, you will learn that call, and your Roo/chicks will also react to it. Don't take any chances right now. Take care.

9. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Since hawks are protected by the Feds,and it could mean big trouble if you got caught harming them, i wouldn't take the chance. What has worked for me is forming an alliance with the local crows.I feed them table scraps, fish carcuses, whatever.They never seem to be far away, and respond almost always when i cry out in crow talk, offering treats.They have done an excellent job of driving off hawks around here.So far the crows have not stolen eggs or eaten the hens food, they don't bother with my hens at all.I have plenty of Redtails around.I also provide lots of evergreen tree cover for the girls.This has worked well for me for 5 yrs, since i got hens.May not work everywhere for everyone, but it works for me..Good luck....

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The first thing is don't post here and ask for advice. Second is take care of the problem and don't post the results here. Did I say don't ask what to do on here. That's telling the world.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by