OK, help me out chicken pro's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pickinoutdough, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pickinoutdough

pickinoutdough New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Fl
    What breed and gender if you can tell in the pictures. Feed Store birds, I was told Golden Comet pullets. I didn't know any better 3 weeks ago. Doing research on BYC I am guessing Golden Comet (sex-link), either light brown leghorns or I hope Cream Legbars, I know the brown one is a Buff Orpington that I got a week later at another feed store. Can you tell me if they look like pullets, I think the brown one with yellow dot on his head is a cockeral, not sure about golden comet though, I read the males are all white with a little brown in thier wing feathers. All birds are 3 weeks old or thereabout Friday. Thank you.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Okay I could be wrong and I hope I am, but all three are sex-link breeds and they are all males. The buff is the only girl in the group. Hope someone else can chime in and say I am wrong. Not only their coloring, but those combs are already looking pretty big for that age. If I am correct, the white spots on the two "barred" chicks means male and the white/brown also mean male. Now, if these are not the first cross and the parents were sex-linked and these are 2nd gen crosses, I could be wrong.

3. pickinoutdough

pickinoutdough New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Fl
    Great, not what i was hoping for. Thanks for the reply. I am learning the hard way i guess.

4. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I hope some will chime in and say I am wrong [​IMG] If I am right, the person selling them knew they were boys........

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the comet is a girl as at this age the boys would be all white, they get the red in as the reach sexual maturity

6. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That is good, for some reason I thought coment girls were all red with a very little white and boys were white with a little red. What do you think about the other 2? I hope I am wrong on them also!

7. pickinoutdough

pickinoutdough New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Fl
    Here are 4 more head shots of them, maybe this will help.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX