ok here is what DR said ...** UPDATE **

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Crazy4Chicks, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    A little bit back I posted a thread about not being able to sleep - well I took alot of the advice given to me by all the BYC DR's ( drank tea, relaxing baths,got a book..etc) things were going well for a few nights but i was back to not sleeping again - so I went to the DR.
    All my blood work comes back fine - no major problems, my hypoglacema ( i know spelled that wrong LOL ) is alittle bit messed up- seems my body is still making more insalin than it can handle which is giving me some problems - DR called it factor X - all that means is unlike diabetic's who have to be careful how much sugar they eat, I on the other hand need sugar through out my day to help counteract some of the insulin - I did not know that sugar eats insulin ( that's why diabetic's have to be careful not to eat to much sugar).

Also he told me I suffer from a mild case of depression - I did not know that since I dont feel all that bad - but since I stay home all day have very little to no human contact all day - it takes a toll on a person mentally- I told him that I work from home ( DH does not want me to get a job outside of the home ) he is not trying to be mean but he knows that I do alot for us here - I help with the paper route, I do ALL the paper work that goes along with the paper route, handle customer accounts, keep track of who is out of town etc.., plus take care of all the animals.
    The DR mentioned Meds to control the depression - I told him I would rather not take any since it is only a mild case. So he said there is one thing I could do at home to help control it- GET A PET LOL I started laughing I could not help it. Dr said a pet would give me something to focus on keep me company and give me someone to talk to.
    I told him that I have plenty of animal DR's at home, between 4 dogs, 3 ducks,1 rooster,16 hens,1 man hating parrot,1 lovebird- i dont think finding company around here will be a problem LOL

so come spring when I get more chicks I can tell DH that they are DR's orders LOL I wonder can I write them off as a medical expense???????

Julie

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    That's funny! Yeah that's a good excuse for more chicks. I'd buy it.

An anti-depressant doesn't take the depression away, it only helps you deal with it better. So, I think you made the right decision. Sounds like you deal with it just fine.

Good luck!

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Sounds like a treatment plan that will work for so many of us here!

One thing that many people don't understand about depression is that it can actually change the chemical balance within the brain and that it can be almost impossible to reinstate that balance without medication or some other type of intervention (accupuncture, herbs, or other alternative therapies). For people with low levels of depression, it can mean going on meds for a while (often less than a year) until the chemicals have rebalanced, then going off them. So I recommend you keep an eye on your depression and if it seems to be worsening, you consider the meds (or look into other therapies).

If you continue having problems with sleep, I also would recommend hypnosis. You could either look for someone who could do a few sessions with you and teach you some techniques for self-hypnosis or look for some books that can teach you how to do self-hypnosis. Good luck; it certainly is no fun being sleep-deprived - my family all hides when they know I've been having problems sleeping!

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That's great that you got some answers. You know I went on some antidepressants a while back and only for a little while. I called it my princess medicine. You do what you need to get better. Let your chickens be your "drug" for now. [​IMG]

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am going to keep an eye on myself and if I feel like I need Meds I will go get some.
    I just dont think I need them right now since he said it is a mild case. Oh course my family thinks I should get them but they are the kind of family that will take a pill for everything LOL
    So for now I will use " chicken drug " - wonder if you can OD on it LOL
    still looking for a way to claim the new babies as a medical expense - anyone have any ideas on how to make that work LOL

As far today I feel pretty good, but I know I will have my ups and downs - winter is always a bad time for me anyway - since I love to be outside planting flowers, watering grass, oh well it will warm up again soon!

Julie

7. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Glad you finally got some answers

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you are only having occasional trouble with sleep, just get you some benadryl. It makes MOST people sleepy enough to go off to dreamland. Tylenol PM and the other OTC pain + PM meds all contain benadryl in a generic form and no, I'm not gonna try to spell diphenhydramine here.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's good news!
    A chicken overdose...what a way to go!

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    You've got to be careful though, because a lack of sleep can lead to some many other problems. They have actually done tests on healthy people by memicing the sleep patterns of a person with Fibromyalgia. The healthy person after a while, started exhibiting many of the same symptoms as a person with Fibro. So your depression might just be from the lack of sleep and not the other way around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by