Ok, Here we go again:( OR Don't this beat all!! EDITED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willow, Jul 12, 2008.

1. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    Ok, I have in my hatcher the following eggs:

7 Maran eggs- overdue to hatch on the 6th.

3 EE's due to hatch on the 14th

and 2 pheasant eggs overdue to hatch on the 9th.

Those are all shipped eggs.

Now, I had 1 mixed cochin egg from my birds that I just for the heck of it threw in there to see what would happen. All these eggs were incubated the same, and put in hatcher the same. Mine was due to hatch yesterday. IT HATCHED!!![​IMG]

I'm going nuts!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A bad hatch is a bad hatch, I mean everyone has them SOMETIMES but this is just crazy. And the sad part is they develop then just...die [​IMG]

I got a dozen marans from alaskenhenhouse who is in Alaska and I've had 2 hatch (NOT her fault). ALL were fertile!! I got 6 pheasant eggs from gamebirdsonly who is in Utah and 2 didn't develop at all, the others developed and died????

What really stinks is the eggs that are out under my hens are hatching too!! But they are mixed not pure [​IMG]

I should just quit while I'm at least a little ahead but knowing me I won't!! I know...I can blame it on everyone else here, right, I mean ever since I joined I've been "forced" [​IMG] to swap and hatch, right??!! [​IMG]

I'm ADDICTED and I CAN"T STOP!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Will there ever be any hope for me?? Is there a cure??

I hope you all realize that I'm just trying to make lite of all of our situations. I know I'm not the only one but, I'll tell you, when it's happening to you it seems like you're all alone. I love this board and everyone on it!!

UPDATE- I have a wonderful broody turkey hen who has been hatching eggs for me for about 2 months now. I picked up some "fertile" eggs from our local livestock auction last month. So, seeing she was broody anyway, I gave them (all 14 of them) to her. I figured I only paid $1.00 for them so if some are fertile so be it. I just got back in from the barn-wouldn't you know it, 13 hatched and 1 started to but she must have stepped on it. So ALL of those eggs from someone else hatched. I GIVE UP!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. willow

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    I just read a post by MissPrissy saying to pip the air end to see if there is life. I'm gonna do that and see about the older eggs. I'll try to take some photos so we can all compare.

3. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

what does it mean to "pip the air end"?

4. willow

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    This is what MissPrissy said on another post:

"You can use a pin and pip the egg on the air cell end very carefully. Ease back enough shell to look for signs of life. If you see any blood stop and put it back in the incubator as you could get a live but late hatch. If you find no signs of life dispose of the eggs and end the hatch. "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by