ok-heres "chuckie" the mystery crested duck! any guesses please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sonew123, Jun 12, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chuckie is 3 weeks old and huge! He/ she is quacking already-I just heard it-He/ she is in my tub-movingout tomorrow-what the heck is it? I was not supposed to get a duck egg in my hatching eggs I bought but I did-first time duck owner now-how do you get rid of that! anyhoo the seller told me it has to be a mallard-she had 1 breeding pair-but when I posted him at 2 days old no one thu=ought he was a mallard-what do you think? Are ducks supposed to quack so early? I hope its a girl so I can at least get yummy eggs out of all the food it trashes-LOL

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    What are you feeding it?? That is a gorgeous duck!!!! Hopefully someone would know what breed it is. CUTE!!

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Crested Ancona????

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Well if its pure-bred I'd guess a black swedish. However it could be a rouen mix. Mine came out looking like a blue swede and she had speckled feet too(her father was rouen and mother was pekin): [​IMG]
    This is a picture of a young black swede i bought 2 or 3 months ago:
    [​IMG]
    And a Crested Blue Swede:
    [​IMG]

5. rittert3

rittert3 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I'm guessing a crested magpie.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    When I saw it, I thought black swedish as well.
    But ancona makes sense too.
    Female ducks tend to be very vocal and they are louder as well.
    She is very cute by the way!

7. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Songster

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    My "dirty duck" that I posted the other day (see below) is a crested runner (blue and white).....for comparison.... thought you'd see that the markings might be deceiving....hmmmm.

[​IMG]

8. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Her duck doesn't have the posture of a runner..but if it's mixed it might not stand straight up anyways....[​IMG]

9. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Songster

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I guess I didn't word my post properly....I wasn't suggesting the duck was a runner, I was trying to suggest not to rely on the color pattern to identify the breed. Sorry if there was any confusion. I had people not identify Patch, my dirty duck, as a runner because of his unusual pattern....guess it's too late for me to make any sense.

10. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Hey no problem [​IMG]
    It makes plenty of sense! I probably read it wrong cause i'm sleep deprived right now, it's almost 3 am here...lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: