Ok here's probably a very stupid question, but here goes......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sooner Chic-en, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Sooner Chic-en

Sooner Chic-en In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Oklahoma
    First, I have 3 males, 3 females, 2 males are 15 mths old and the other is 4 mths.... they sleep at night in the coop with the chickens, no problems whatsoever.... my females are 4 mths old, and one has layed her first egg... very soft... haven't had any since... now here's the stupid question... when they start laying, and assuming they are fertile and try and make a nest, which I'm sure won't be in the coop, do I locate eggs and move them? Do I make a nest for her? I really want natural raised babies, but don't want to "stress" the situation, but there is no way I'm leaving them out at night if she decides to lay eggs other than coop, so what do you do? [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    What breed are your ducks? Some breeds may never go broody.

If she decides to go broody, she'll make her own nest. So if she's not sitting on the eggs, you just have to collect them.

3. Sooner Chic-en

Oct 3, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have 1 female Pekin 4 mths old, 2 male Peking 4 mths and 15 mths, 1 Rouen male 15 mths, 1 Black Indian Runner female 4 mths, and I'm not sure about the other female she is black but has white on her chest... she is 4 mths, she's the one that layed the egg.... but is she is broody and layes them outside of coop do I move them?

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's probably best if you move the eggs inside if she starts her nest outside the coop. She may not like it though.

If there is a way to keep her safe from predators outside, you may want to try that. Once they go broody, they don't like to be moved around or bothered.

5. Sooner Chic-en

Oct 3, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Far too many predators to let them stay outside, and they would be very unhappy if I confined them to the run, they are use to free roaming.... but thanks for the advise! Guess if she does make nest outside I'll just have to keep her in run...

6. momahenTN

momahenTN In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    N.W.Tennessee
    you could always make a little fence around her and her nest so that she is safe.

7. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Quote:She is a Black Swedish

8. Sooner Chic-en

Oct 3, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yes!! I googled it and that's exactly what she is..... as far as building a fence around her... we are out in the boon docks.... owls, raccoons, possum, skunks.... I just wouldn't feel secure and would never get any sleep! What I may do is build an additional coop just for the ducks, thanks again for the input... does anyone know how many eggs a young duck usually lays and broods?

9. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Just because they are laying eggs, doesn't mean they are broody. My ducks lay their eggs all over the place, some in the nests, some just under various things!

My free range ducks usually find a corner in our barn (where they sleep) or loft area. I'm not sure how easy it would be to relocate them. You know they are broody when they don't move off the nest they've made, except for a maybe a short period to get some food/water. At that point, I've added a few eggs if they don't already have enough under them.

10. ya chick ya

ya chick ya In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    somewhere.. \-_-/
    i have a dumb question also
    when do ducks start laying????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: