Ok, here's what I'm starting with...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by watchdogps, Jul 9, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Here are a couple of pics of the room in the barn that I will be using for my chickens and guineas. It's 35 x 14.

[​IMG]

The window in the middle is broken out. I am thinking I will just staple hardware cloth over that for the moment, to allow good ventilation, and figure out what to do for the winter.

[​IMG]

This is the whole room. See the shelves up high on the left? I'm thinking guinea roosts since they seem to like high places.

Obviously I need to convert it. Input and suggestions welcome.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It's great that you're starting out with such a large structure. Lots of large open places for predators to get in - so you'll have to take care of that. But you have plenty of room for supplies, roosts, nesting boxes. Lots of possibilities on the design. Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Oh, yes, I will be tightening it up a LOT! Not only can predators get in, but chickens can get out as it is. They will be free range eventually, but I need to keep them secure at first, and I want to get our perimeter fence up first so hopefully they will choose to stay within that most of the time as a first line of defense
    I am considering leaving one board off and putting their pen off that side. The doors are huge, and if I use the missing board idea, then I can use the 4 ft high dog pen on the outside. I can fashion a drop in door to close the coop off at night.

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    What a wonderful space! I can't wait to see what you do with it. A walk in coop is my "Someday" dream....a far off someday dream lol.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I love big coops. Definitely hardware cloth the windows you can always put a tarp over them in the winter. I'd build a closet to store the feed in. I'd add electricity if that's possible. Ladders for the roost. Couple feeders on the wall. Here's a feeder that I built. Man you got it going on. I'd add a big arse run to that puppy. Its endless to what you could do. [​IMG] The feeder is against the right wall it holds atleast a hundred pounds.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    How lucky can some folks be? Half the work is already done.[​IMG] But what a good start.

8. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I wish I was that lucky I only have a old swing set and little tyke play cube to work with,pics at my blog

9. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Oh, there's electric too!

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Nice!!! I would love to see the end result. Definitely build a storage space for feed & everything else needed it will only make it easier to feed & clean etc. One last question is there water too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by