OK, how about Leesburg Virginia - legal chickens?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by poppyseed, Jan 12, 2009.

1. poppyseed

poppyseed New Egg

Dec 27, 2008
    Hubby and I are house-shopping, and one pretty major criterion for where we decide to move is whether I can keep some chickens to keep our family of 7 in fresh, ethical eggs. We're in the process of making an offer on a house on an acre (with a chicken coop already on the property!) in a town where I know chickens are legal. But odds are good that this property is going to fall through, and we're working our way through our other choices.

Our second-best choice is in Leesburg, VA. I'm reasonably certain it's actually within the town limits. I went here http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11155&sid=46 to check the city ordinances, and I wanted a few extra pairs of eyes to tell me whether I'm seeing what I'm thinking I'm seeing - that chickens are legal as long as I keep them confined to my own property.

There is no HOA at this Leesburg property, and we would only keep hens, anyway, no roosters, so I'm not sure our neighbors would even know we had chickens, much less mind. If the town codes permit chickens, then we'll put this property at the top of our list in the event the first choice falls through. I hope I'm reading the ordinance correctly. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to keep outlaw chickens. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I read that as long keep on your premises but then you can't butcher them in town I read..didn't say chicken on the butchering but I would suspect it would go right along with the other animals mention..so sounds like you can have some chicks there..I live in Florida now but I use to live in Maryland for a few years and I worked in Leesburg VA..nice town.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by