OK I admit, I'm a bad chicken owner...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by growinupinfl, Nov 19, 2011.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Alright I am normally a better chicken owner than this. I have the normal useless empty excuses, I've been busy with college, kids, life. Now I found my wheaten Marans Rooster who fell out today, the teenagers brought him to me and he was so covered in mites, they were literally all over me in seconds. I have way to many roosters and the kids have been letting all the breeds out to run around together.. Way to many roosters, So its a mess. Now getting it back under control

I treated the all the chickens with Sevin dust today. My poor Wheaten Rooster is still inside, he is now responding and eating scrambled eggs, then goes back to sleep. I can't remember the last time I treated them with dewormer. I really want to keep my birds but I need help on how to get the flock back under control any suggestions? Encouragement?

Christal

2. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I am just starting out in this addiction so I cant be much in ways of help but I can sure encourage you. Sounds like you will have your hands full for a bit. Praying all will turn around and work out for the best.

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    If you are having a hard time keeping up with things, I would suggest maybe picking only a couple of fav breeds and get rid of the rest. It sounds to me like you just have too much for you to really take care of them properly.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    As much as i hated to do it I thinks its time you down size.

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Life can be overwhelming. When that happens, do triage.
    Make a list of what all needs to be done, then sort out what needs to be done now, then tomorrow, what can wait 'til next week, etc.

In your case, I might make 3-4 lists. One for school, one for kids, chickens, whatever. Then prioritize:
    Obviously, family/kids first. What HAS to be done - no, the house does not need to be spotless, but the kids need help with homework, whatever.
    Chickens, get rid of the lice, feed them well and get their strength back up, then worm them (do not delouse and worm at the same time - too much, too fast),
    College: what do I need to review/study now. What can wait until next weekend.

Just remember: How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.
    You can do this. Relax, make a plan, adjust as needed and go.

Best wishes!

6. growinupinfl

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Ok no deworming and delousing.. Do you think just treating them Sevin dust today, treating the coop, then If I'm right in 10 days retreat. I am going to go down to just my Swedish Flower Hens, Lav Orphs, and Wheaten Marans. I only have 3 days of college left till Christmas break. I want to be able to sell of the extra's but I don't want to sell sick or infested birds.

The house actually does pretty well lots of hands to help clean, we make sure that happens at least!

I just want to make sure I get everyone back up to healthy, any more ideas on taking care of the roo that was infested and fell out

Christal

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    The sevin dust treatment sounds ok. For the unfortunate roo, I would just do supportive care for now. Isolation, good food, etc.

I know you are looking forward to Christmas break! That would also be a great time to 'reboot' so to speak. Get everything organized, review school notes, chill with family and friends. A break might be just what you need to get back in gear. I remember how hard it was. I was going through a divorce, working two part time jobs, college full time and with two young children. I do remember, and I sympathize. Don't beat yourself up over stuff that happened. Just fix it. You'll feel better.

I think you're going to be ok. Just remember to breathe every once in a while. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hang in there.

Oh yeah. After your Roo is 'de-bugged' and is doing better, then see about getting him (and all of them wormed. I just wouldn't treat all at once. Too much of a shock to his system.

8. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i gave up trying to sevin dust a bunch of birds.... what a long day that can be with lots of birds... lots for me is 15 birds.... i went to using ivermectin pour on for cattle.... a few drops on each bird and you've killed lice, mites, fleas, and wormed them.... way easier then dust.....

9. tinybarnfarm

tinybarnfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Anybody ever tried garlic powder for mites? We use it for mites in our bee hives and it works great.

10. growinupinfl

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Alrighty all today all the coops got a good scrubbing, and Sevin Dusted. Best of all everyone is back with their own kind. In all those coops we spent so much money and time on building. All are back into pure breed pens, except my Wheaten Marans hens. I put them in with the Swedish flowers for right now. My wheaten roo did not make it, he was so emaciated I almost did a necropsy then I decided to spend my day being effective in fixing issues and checking out everyone else's health status, not lost trying to figure out why he literally was just skin and bones. After close inspection everyone else seems healthy, filled out, did not see a single other emaciated bird. A few seemed to have a signs of loose stool on their feathers. Any ideas? I did give them all rooster booster though.

How long will it take for all the hens to start laying pure breed eggs. Anyone have any ideas how long it will take for them to start laying pure breed eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by