Ok I admit my half broody silkie converted me today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    There were 5 half grown chicks in the nest in the chicken tractor and I was like oh I wonder where the silkie is? They were piled in their ready to sleep. I pulled each 13 week old very large teenager out and low and behold on top of two golf balls and a wooden egg with that evil possesed look in her eye my Partridge silkie pullet from peachick. I did not pull her out because she bit me [​IMG] We will see what she is doing tomorrow morning I may need three eggs from someone though [​IMG] she is a little girl and I don't want her to have to work to hard to raise chicks so maybe 5 eggs maximum. I am still waiting to see if she really is stuck before I go making any decisions. Wish me and her luck I should just call her broody [​IMG] ITS MAYBE MY FIRST BROODY EVER!!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh I bet she is broody if she bit you!!!!

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    ...and if you have that many silkies it won't be your last!!! [​IMG]

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    She is off the nest bet she will be back on in the next couple of days I hope [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Give her a good wack upside the head, and she will no longer be broody. Maybe you need to come visit my neighbour and get her some eggs. [​IMG]

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I probably will hmm what breed do you think I should add if she really does fully commit? [​IMG] I was thinking BLRW or Silver marans I may acutally see if peachicks leghorns are laying buy the time this girl commits she said they were showing signs [​IMG] I need some real layers and those leghorns would sure do the trick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by