Ok - I admit...this is one of my dumbest questions ever.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shannonb1, Dec 5, 2009.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    I need to add some ventilation in my coop....so can I just drill some holes up near the top or do they need to be actual vents with screens? It is just a shed with a slanted roof about 25x20 for 7 hens and a rooster....I keep the big screen door open during the day and there is a pop door, but other than that there is no real ventilation. Trying to get it winter ready this weekend....supposed to get quite a bit of snow next week.

One more......

Deep litter method? I just can't bring myself to put new shavings over the old ones. Maybe it's the OCD in me, but I'm compelled to completely clean the old out, sweep, and then put down the new shavings....am I just wasting shavings - does the deep litter method really help that much?

Thank you,

Shannon

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't answer your first question, sorry.
    On the deep litter method, I have OCD too; only DH calls it OCCD - obsessive, compulsive cleaning disorder.
    I've psyched myself up to the point that I can go three months without a coop cleanout. The rest of the time I turn the shavings, add the DE and top it all off with fresh shavings. IMO, it does help especially in the wintertime. Dirty shavings create heat and multiple inches of shavings are also insulation.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Glad Gritsar handled the DLM question.

I imagine you have read Pat's ventilation page. I'll include a link anyway.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Drilling small holes does almost no good. It would help if you can take out a fairly large segment and cover it with hardware cloth, peferably above where they sleep. And I would do it on at least two sides, but not on the side that gets most of the wind.

4. shannonb1

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks gritstar. I too have OCCD...[​IMG]

When I put down the new bedding after cleaning I literally have about a foot of new bedding. I put down ALOT of shavings : )

5. shannonb1

Jul 27, 2009
    Thank you, and NO I had NOT read that, but will now. Thank you veyr much

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:Shannon, I'm a bit OCD about my coop, too, but I only change out my shavings every (GASP!) six months! The horror! Truth is, if I toss them a couple times a week, the poo totally dries out and filters to the bottom and I can tolerate that. There is absolutely no smell. I do chicken chores in the morning in high heels on my way out the door, so that tells you that the coop isn't full of nasty poo.

To each his own -- if it makes you feel better to sweep the shavings out and refill with fresh, then by all means go for it -- but it's not necessary and will eventually become a waste of time (and money).

About your ventilation, in addition to your screen door and the pop door, you should have some vents up high, by the roofline. I don't know what size you are thinking about for drilling, but Pat recommends 1 sq. ft. of ventilation per chicken. I know that sounds like a lot, but it really does work. And you'd definitely want to screen off those holes with hardware wire. Those beasties can squeeze themselves through the smallest of holes - it's quite amazing. If you live where you'll get weather, put the vents on non-weather sides to keep rain/snow from blowing in. I leave my pop-door open daily and leave my vents open until it gets to -15F. After that, I close them up until the temps get reasonable again.

hope this helps.

7. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I used window screen over several vents -- should I replace it with hardware cloth?

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Window screening will NOT stop a predator from entering your coop. They will tear, push or bite right through it with ease.

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    In our city, the code has been recently changed, and sheds have to have particular vents, etc.....

for your own best odds at success, maybe just check your city code, if you're in a city. What's up to date today will probably work for years.....

Good luck!

10. When I walk into the barn during the day and see mounds of chickens and Guineas on their sides and breast deep in the litter I just about shutter.

They seem to just love getting that crap all over them and I am really surprised the GUINEAS get in with them, it is darn near disgusting and they all look like they have been attacked by a predator and they all look, well DEAD.

Today i noticed the Guineas outside in the horse pen having a hey day in the muck.

One would think that this is just unhealthy, but they seem to LOVE their "dust, muck, litter baths".

I am using quite a bit of DE in the pens, but not in the horse pen. Oh the grossness of it all.

ALWAYS use hardware cloth. It is the ONLY thing that will deter a predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by