OK I am a little frustrated with my neighbors

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Quail_Antwerp, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    We have neighbors that moved in next door back in June. They are never home. They leave first thing in the morning and don't come back to 10 or 11 at night, and you can't miss when they come or go because their truck is LOUD. Until two weeks ago, we had never met them.

Now they have (er had) two coon dogs. These dogs are chained to decent boxes and they bark and howl at us all day when they see us out and about our yard. They wag their tails and bark in a "please give me some attention, food, water" etc kind of way. They go nuts when they see our kids outside playing with our dogs or just out in the yard, period. Not aggressive kind of behavior, just more of begging for attention.

About three weeks ago the male coon hound slipped off his chain. It was after dark, and I could hear our dogs carrying on. So I open the back door to see what is going on and I see this huge dog sniffing around the chicken coops. I holler for DH because I thought it was a coyote. He comes out the door and sees it's the neighbors dog.

He catches the dog and stuffs him in our van. We drive him next door. They were really nice and super concerned and wanted to make sure he hadn't torn up anything. We told him that he hadn't and we just wanted to make sure he got home safely.

Then last week he got loose again. Once again he was over sniffing around the coops, etc. Didn't go after anything (and I had some chickens free ranging at the time) and the neighbors weren't home. I called the sheriff department because I didn't know what to do with their dog and didn't want to trespass onto their property. Well they took the dog to the pound.

When the neighbors got home and explained what happened. I also told them that their dog was at the pound. They thanked us for letting them know, and that was it.

THEY NEVER PICKED UP THEIR DOG.

I am so upset that this presumably nice dog has gone to the pound because of me, and his owners didn't seem to care about going to get him. They seemed more concerned that he might have killed my chickens or torn something up. I appreciate that they want to be sure he didn't damage anything, but I feel sick that I may have sentenced this poor dog to an uncertain future.

I simply do not understand people who don't care about their dogs!

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    It is so sad because dogs have so much love for us - no matter what! So, yeah, that sweet creature loved them and got little in return. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am going to go ahead and be the devil's advocate on this one because we had a dog that we left at the pound. This dog was a chow/shepard mix and the sweetest animal you could ever find. But he had an uncanny ability to escape any harness, any lead system, and we spent hundreds of dollars to keep him in our 1 acre yard.

Every time he would escape, it was $80 to pick him up again. After the money spent for the devices to keep him in the yard, and the many times we paid the town to get him back, we gave up.

It was heart breaking for us, however, we are living at the ends of our financial rope and had no choice. I just wonder if they dealt with the same thing, and it was someone else's yard he was invading until recently. We really did love that dog, but there was no other choice for us. The final bill to come get him was $195 because of the number of times he was picked up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    maybe they took the dog back from which it came? maybe it was too much work for them and they saw away out,
    sleep easy coon dogs don't stay long at the pound [​IMG]

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It sounds like there dogs are really lonesome and not getting enough attention ! I believe that if your not willing to spend time with your pets and care for them then you should not have them. Of course i feel the same way when it comes to children as well !

Hopefully he found a new home where he is getting the attention and love he needs .[​IMG]

Don't feel guilty as you were trying to peotect there dog and your animals as well.

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

From the sounds of it you gave the dog a chance at a better life. Really, what dog wants to be on a chain in a yard with no one home needing the love and company he can see over there in your yard, but never getting at home? There are many dogs taken from pounds and shelters, and hounds are often picked up. I hope he was.

What you did was not wrong, and it might have helped the dog.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I agree! We felt so bad about leaving our dog at the pound....but we really really really hoped that he got a home that had more land and better security.

8. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I agree maybe they couldn't be there much to spend time with the dog. You said they were gone all the time--Maybe trying to work a lot of overtime.. You can't feel guilty--You were just trying to do the right thing.. And maybe they thought the right thing was to leave him at the pound.. And like one of the other posters said-- Somebody will probaly take him as soon as they see he's a hunting dog. --A lot of people would have shot the dog no questions asked. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING !! --Wayne

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    debiraymond, I don't think you were playing devil's advocate, you were just explaining it from the other point of view. I appreciate that. I just felt bad for the dog, maybe I should have waited till they came home (even tho it was like 11 pm!) and returned him before having him picked up. He did only get loose twice.

They still have the other dog there. They moved her from her box to the other dog box, where the first dog was getting loose. She barks at the grass when she's thirsty.

I hope he finds a good home. At least he won't be coming after my chickens, right? :|

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hopefully, the other one gets loose too so it can go to the pound too. That way they both can find good homes. You're neighbors are not a good owners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by