O'K I am a worry wart

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    This new 2 day old chick sleeps all the time in between eating, drinking, and the other thing they do real well. Is this normal or is it that he has no other chicks to keep him active? I have 15 coming Tues the 12th. That should keep him on his toes. John

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's normal - they get a burst of energy, then they almost fall over asleep. With no other little ones to jostle him around, your single one is getting nice rest!

As long as you notice that he's eating and drinking its fine. I especially like it when they fall asleep standing up - their little heads bob, then again, then sloooowwwwllllllyyy the beak falls to the floor.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    The little chick started breathing real hard yesterday afternoon. He was still eating and drinking well. I found him dead at 9pm. I have no idea what happened. John

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Could have been anything if it was just two days old. At that time they could have been still living on the yolk, so there could have been some sort of internal defect and you would have never known.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    John so sorry..like Silkie says sometimes there is just something going on inside them and we don't know til too late....

Don't give up and have a great hatch this next time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by