1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok i am almost afraid to ask this ...but am i cheap? or tacky?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    after talking with my aunt about how much it has cost her to outfit my cousins collage dorm with all the fixins i decided i was gonna start now for my oldres child...but is this a tacky way of doing it?

I have been on free cycle quite a bit getting rid of odds and ends lately and i have been seeing ads for dishes, book cases, computer desks...ect..

i have no issue with taking used furniture (except beds eww)

but if i collect the dishes and mixing bowls pots, pans, is that nasty? gross?

I have also seen dishes a full set of plain blue dishes at the second hand store for $2

I wont be giving him this stuff as a gift...its to save me money in a year when he is off to college, in todays economy i cant afford the $2000 my aunt just spent on "the lil things" thats not for the cost of the big items either but thats another rant..lol

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

well, if that is tacky, then I must be the "Queen of Tackiness", lol. I think that is very wise on your part.

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i think that is a very smart way to do it- not a bit tacky!!

4. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    No way!!!

It's easy to sanitize dishes! Just put them in a sink of warm water with a splash of clorox. Or wipe down furniture with a clorox wipe!

Thrift stores and freecycle are the way to shop!!!

Why spend the money? Why polute the environment by having more products be made? There are plenty of nice plates, silverware, desks, books, etc out there!

Save the environment and save money!

It's not tacky, it's recycling! [​IMG]

edited for spelling error

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    If your child is going into a dorm, they shouldn't need pots, pans, plates and furniture. If they are going into an apartment they will. That being said, who says every kid needs a new stuff for a college dorm. They aren't going to be spending their time taking care of stuff so leftovers from grandma's attic or freecycle should be fine. After I graduated from college, my first apartment was furnished with a variety of other people's castoffs, and I was happy to have them. When I went to college, I took bedding and towels we had at home, nothing new.

What I've heard are the big expenses for dorm rooms these days are chargers for the variety of electronics...cell phones, computers, ipod, and the like. And for all the extras kids feel they need: TV, frig, coffee maker, yadda yadda

6. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Wish I'd thought to do that 2 years ago when my son went to college. I say do now because later you may not be able to afford to do it with new stuff.
    piecemaker

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Me too! LOL! I love dollar general for nice but cheaper lamps or Freds, etc!

You are smart impo! [​IMG] That money could be spent else well that you save, saying paying off debt [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    College kids practically live at the Goodwill. It's part of being a college student to have garage sale, dollar store and second-hand store stuff. [​IMG]

Don't worry about the braggity-brag aunt. They're the exception, not the norm.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Go for the second hand stuff.....wish I had done that when my daughter went to University....I have learnt my lesson should my boy eventually go......recycle every time.

It's surprising how much gets broken also, so, second hand is the best way forward...... good luck...

10. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    mom'sfolly :

If your child is going into a dorm, they shouldn't need pots, pans, plates and furniture. If they are going into an apartment they will. That being said, who says every kid needs a new stuff for a college dorm. They aren't going to be spending their time taking care of stuff so leftovers from grandma's attic or freecycle should be fine. After I graduated from college, my first apartment was furnished with a variety of other people's castoffs, and I was happy to have them. When I went to college, I took bedding and towels we had at home, nothing new.

What I've heard are the big expenses for dorm rooms these days are chargers for the variety of electronics...cell phones, computers, ipod, and the like. And for all the extras kids feel they need: TV, frig, coffee maker, yadda yadda

The only reason to buy new sheets for a dorm room is if they have an odd size bed, like an "extra long Twin." Sometimes there is laundry service available, but it's still cheaper to buy two sets of sheets.

Definitely don't buy new things for a dorm room or apartment. If your college allows you to purchase a frig or microwave and bring it, find someone who is graduating who is selling theirs. My sons had a "micro-fridge" that we bought used, and it still worked after all 3 of them had used it.

These are smart things you are doing!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by