Ok I am at a loss. cortunix missing eye

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
She had her left eye pecked out. I got to find out who did it. When I think about processing the culprit I get sick. I tried to seperate her but she freaks out and goes nuts. What do I do???

I'd separate her anyhow to be honest she needs time to heal up. Also are you 100% sure her eye is gone? I had a hen I was SURE her eye was gone, after the swelling went down, an eye appeared and since they cant grow new eyes its suffice to say her eye was jus tpushed in from the swelling which is sad but atleast she didnt really loose an eye.

As for finding the culpriate are any of the other birds in there hurt? If so look for the healthiest looking one and sit a bit a way fro mthe pen and observe it... normally if they're nasty once they're nasty again
sad.png

There is one more who has a cut on the top. I am going to put her somewhere safe. If I find him he is going into the empty cage. Everytime I think about processing the culprit I start thinking of them when they first hatched. I wish I had the galls to do it.

ETA: All I see in the eye area is white.

Last edited:
Quote:
ew okay sounds like the eye is gone then
sickbyc.gif

i understand competely not everyone can do that and you shouldnt have to if you can't
smile.png
I bet it is a roo doing it. Is your roo to hen ratio not correct or something? if so you may not evne have to cull the roo, just remove excess roos and keep ti taht way you may see the hens heal up with no other issues.

ratio should be 3-5 hens per roo
smile.png

Gotta figure out who is a male. I am getting lots of eggs outta six. I think I have only 1 roo but my female makes that crow sound. Trying to find her a waterer. I will have to start processing next week at my firends friends farm. So maybe that will give me some courage?

Quote:
if your "hen" crows (the true roo crow) then its safe to say it's really a boy (which may make sense why it was hurt but my hens are normally hurt before my roos are sadly). hens make a noise that isnt a crow taht's like "or che or che or che!" and the crow is a LOUD "HOW'm I DOIN!?" LOL Or "BLAH BLAH BLAAGGK!!!" LOL

Back
Top Bottom