ok i am confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Sep 11, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my buff orpington had recently started peck(biting) me. she has always been very sweet. i have posted here recently about this. she has a prob with one of her legs. a little limp a rooster tried get to get her and when she ran she hurt her foot. i think her middle toe is a little swollen. anyway she started pecking me. i would sit and she would come to get in my lap like she always has. i sat her in my lap. ok for a few minutes then growling like and bites. im like ok you cant sit in my lap if you are just going to peck and bite. hurts dont you knowe! felt like she almost took my arm off friday.[​IMG] anyway. we were out of town yesterday and the poor girls had to be in their pen allday but they have a big pen. they free range most all the time. so i check on them when we get home late last night . they are in bed and fine. i let them out extra early this morning. talk to them some come back in and lay back down. so i go out a while ago and she is after my hands feet just strange acting about it. was she mad cause they had to stay in yesterday or what? also she is pecked at not really picked on by petunia barred rock hen. she is afraid of her. could she think that i am at the bottom of the pecking order? calll me crazy i know they are just chickens but they think and love too. what can i do? leave her alone. i hate to not put her in my lap when she is obviously wanting me to but gheeeee this peck biting hurts like crazy. i still had a knot on my arm yesterday from friday.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Crazy girl! Try tapping her sharply, like a chicken would peck, on the back of her head when she does that. Or take her by the back of the head and hold her down a minute. Sometimes it's hard to get them to stop that. I had one start that up and I thought I'd never get her to stop but I kept it up and she finally quit.

3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    grind its beak down

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup. And check the foot carefully, see if maybe it is hurting her.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:WONT THAT HINDER HER FROM EATING WELL?

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Her Foot Is Getting Better. She Scratches The Ground With It Now And Runs But She Still Limps On It. Its Getting Better. She Can Do The Dirt Bath Too Now Again.

7. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I had a barred rock that was putting little bites all over the back of my leg. I pecked her back on the head with my finger, and pushed her down (not real hard), and held her there for a about 10 seconds a few times and it seemed to stop her...at least for now. If she starts again I'll just re-establish who's boss. I think she was just trying to get my attention. I would never grind down their beaks, but that's just me. [​IMG]

8. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:If you can't handle her pecking you and she won't stop, I would rehome her. I would NEVER grind her beak down!!!

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:And for a dog that bites, remove all it's teeth. Yep, that cures it. [​IMG]

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:If you can't handle her pecking you and she won't stop, I would rehome her. I would NEVER grind her beak down!!!

i can handle the pecking. i just wondered if maybe she was aggervated or maybe fixing to start laying and maybe she was ill about it. i could never rehome her i love her too much. she will prob get back to her sweet self real soon. and NO beak grinding for me. thanks though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by