Ok I am freaking out! LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by csummer8882, May 17, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I just heard this weird scratching noise and peeked in and 2 are laying down digging and flinging shavings all over themselves. Kind of rolling on their sides as well. What are they doing? Its the weirdest looking thing!

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Relax, your chicks are dust bathing! It's a perfectly normal chicken behavior. Grown chickens love to find (or make their own) dust bowl and have at it with the dirt. They fling dirt everywhere, up under their wings, all in their feathers. If you watch a big fluffy hen dust bathe, when she gets up, dirt just pours from her feathers. It's hilarious!

3. Keileigh

Keileigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    The Upcountry
    Sounds like they're taking the closest thing they can get to a dust bath. [​IMG]

4. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    PHEW! Ok, I was really starting to panic thinking something was wrong! Then the guilt set in from giving them their first treats yesterday! I was worried I did something wrong! Thank you all so much! They do this to get clean?????!!!!!! LOL

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Having fun. Give them a big kiddie pool full of dry sand when they get over, left someplace where it can get warm in the sun, and they'll spend hours doing this. It's good for them. I've even seen small songbirds like sparrows use the same sand box.

6. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Well they are still inside in the little brooder I guess its called in the house. I will give them one when they go outside then. Didn't realize they did this. LOL What kind of sand? Sandbox sand?

7. Keileigh

Keileigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    The Upcountry
    Yeah, wait till they're bigger -- my hens used to dig 5 or 6 dusting pits side by side and really get the dirt flying. I know it doesn't sound like a way to get clean, but it helps flush mites, lice, etc. out of their feathers. Sometimes they finish the actual "bath" and just lie there relaxing for a while, like they're having a day at the spa. Scented candles and soft music not required. [​IMG]

8. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Bahahahaha~ this happened to me so I have to laugh [​IMG]

What's even better is when they step onto hot pavement and just drop to their sides like their dead... [​IMG] and then you freak out and think what's wrong with them, so you pick them up and stand them up~ and then they drop to the pavement again??? Heehee

It's called dust bathing~ I think thats what they called it~ they love digging in the dirt, flipping over, kicking it up in the air and rolling around in it. And they like it when it's warm out so when the pavement it hot they like to fluff up on the pavement and throw their wing out and pretend to be gravely ill just for the amusement of watching our expressions [​IMG]

9. newBonboard

newBonboard Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    My 3 week old are doing this today as well.. I cleaned their home and put them back in and all 4 started kicking the shaving everywhere and than one starting flapping her wings and getting right into it.. cute !

10. moeplants

moeplants Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    Quote:Having fun. Give them a big kiddie pool full of dry sand when they get over, left someplace where it can get warm in the sun, and they'll spend hours doing this. It's good for them. I've even seen small songbirds like sparrows use the same sand box.

What a gret idea!! I will def. put one by my chickens!! You just made my day!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by