ok, i am getting anoyed now...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jb1jord, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jb1jord

jb1jord Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    This is the third time i have hatched and have yet again, got nothing, then found my thermometer has broken and is 2oc out, but when i cracked my egg open the chick was fully formed but had not pipped the air sac, is this the temperature or the inubator? the humidity was 72% in the last 3 days please help me:(

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Probably the temp.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'm going to say humidity, chicks that are fully formed aren't as sensitive to temp changes as young embroys. If it was fully formed that I think its humidity. 72% is way too high in my opinion, mine is set at 60-65% and I don't raise it from 40% until the first pip. Chicks can actually drown in the shell if the humidity is too high, too soon. They only need the high humidity for hatching.

If you are doing another hatch I would suggest getting a better thermometre and not raising the humidity until a day before hatch, or until the first pip. And 60-65% should be enough.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I hatch in the mid 70s% (last 3days) all the time.

Failure to pip in to the air cell makes me think temp had to be the issue. Way to dry or way to wet day 1 threw 18 could do it too but usually humidity related losses usually happen after they pip the air cell.

5. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I've been struggling with drowning chicks. I finally (I think) solved it as I had a 100% hatch on shipped eggs (excluding the few blood rings) this last hatch.

My trick was to completely remove any water from the incubator during the incubation. The humidity was around 30-40% for the first 18 days. Then I cranked up the humidity as high as I could. It was about 80% for the last 3 days.

I'm not an expert, but I'd guess the temp was the issue for you. Sorry about your bad hatchings.... [​IMG]

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've never hatched like that [​IMG] I used to but I kept betting really bad hatches, it was suggested to me that they were drowning so I didn't add water until they pipped. Always had good hatches since then. If it was a temp problem I don't think they would have made it all the way to chicks, unless it was a drastic change that lasted long enough to cool or heat the chicks.

7. jb1jord

jb1jord Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:i descovered my themometer was set wrong on day 20 then increased it to 36.5, then today i also realised the themometer was 1.5 degrees out, so i dont know what to think, but now i have a broody and am putting eggs under her tomorrow:D

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    For the first 18 days I keep my temp around 100 degrees (my incubator actually holds a steady 99.7 degrees) and 40% to 50% humidity. On day 18 when I set the eggs for hatching I keep the temp around 100 degrees and bump the humidity up to around 65% to 70%. and have had many very successful hatches.

Here are some of the chicks I have hatched.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by