Ok, I am new and my husband thinks I am crazy!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by janet2802, Apr 16, 2007.

1. janet2802

janet2802 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    I just bought 6 chicks (5 girls and a boy) over the weekend for the very first time. I am such a novice about this, but thought it would be fun for my girls (age 15 years, 2 1/2, 1 1/2) to have something to raise and take care of. The 15 year old is a barrel racer and rides more than anything else, plus school, friends, and whatever else. The little ones are at the stage that they can take care of the dogs (we have two) and do pretty good. So, I talked my husband into getting chickens. And can I just tell you that after reading the messages posted on these boards for the last few weeks, you guys are so right! I love my chicks! They are so cute and are starting to get used to us holding them and talking to them all the time. The girls are even getting involved by helping me clean out their cage and giving them fresh water and food. Oh, and my husband.....well he is a geek. He just named them (and yes I am serious) Teriyaki, Fried, Nuggets, Strips, Baked, and Crispy is the boy.
    Thank you so much for all of your advice that you post out there. I have learned so much!.

2. Foghorn

Foghorn Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Welcome Janet! I hate to say this, but given the names your husband has picked for your new chicks, I would say he has ...um....how should I put this....a different "appetite" for them than you do! Welcome to your best addiction!
    -Eric

3. Welcome janet tp byc!

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    well im betting that you wont be able to stop with just 6 hens.so you better build a henhouse for 50 hens.they get tobe very addictive.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Welcome to the SANITY Janet. Glad you found this forum. It is the BEST place to come for answers. Everyone here has been so very helpfull and friendly.

Just remember to tell your hubby....step away from the stove! [​IMG]

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Chicken Lovers! [​IMG]

6. pipermark

pipermark Songster

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Your Crazy, who named what , what! Pot calling the Kettle black here, by the way I love the names.[​IMG]

7. janet2802

janet2802 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    My husband has a funny sense of humor, that is for sure. I have to admit that the names are growing on me and probably will stick. Granted, if my girls decide to show them, we might need to change the names a bit. [​IMG]

8. LICHICK

LICHICK In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    Welcome to BYC & good luck with the chicks. My husband also thinks I'm crazy for loving my girls so much. He said that he doesnt like them but always stops on the road to see if the farmers are selling anything I would like. He found my list for MM and added HOT CHICKEN SOUP to the breeds I selected

9. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Its ok. He'll get used to it. They all do.....

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Welcome to chickenaholics enablers...errr, I mean BYC!
    [​IMG]
    I think the names are a hoot!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: