ok I am so ready....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    .. to get these 25 one month old chicks outta the laundry room... and also hoping for a speedy recovery for my injured hen, who is also camping out there. I can hardly stand the dust and worst off the smell.. I am cleaning the pen twice a day.. this group is such a bunch of slobs [​IMG] [​IMG] They spill thier water Every day making a mushy mess in thier pen...this coop is going to be done this weekend for sure.

As for the hen she is a real cutie pie but I don't think she apppreciates being in the house at all.. but the quarentine coop is no where ready ... once the babies are out of the dog kennel she is going back in the big coop with her flock mates.. It is amazing the size of the wound she had on Monday and how well it is healing.. she is amazing.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I know your pain. I bet most people on here have housed a bunch of dusty, noisy, messy, chicken slobs in their utility room. It is just part of the experience. I will never complain about normal dust again though. chicken dust is more dustier.
    I hope they make it out soon.
    ...and hold on to your sanity! [​IMG]

it's a long strange trip, this chicken stuff.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I was even more glad to get the quail outta here. I've had babies in the house 4 times this year and I swear, NO MORE!

4. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I raised 2 groups of ducks in my basement and one group of 27 chicks. Yeah...Never again (unless their bantams [​IMG]) We had a hen live in our upstairs bathroom all winter. She would stop eating everytime I put her outside so in she lived. She was a clean little hen but sure had a lot of dust! O well. Such is live GOOD Luck with your new coop!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Our first chicks were brooded in the garage, 2nd in the well house. We got kicked out of both by hubby due to the dust, so now I have a small coop to brood in. The house was always off limits.

Have fun getting them outside!

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I wish I had a nickel for every time I swore I'd never keep them in the basement again. [​IMG]

7. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    LOL, when I first started this I could not imagine being at this point, then, all of the sudden, I was done having them in the house! The dust, noise, smell, and pecking from not enough space and boredom!! Too much!! I am enjoying them again now that they are OUTSIDE!!!

8. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    They are hopefully going out to the coop this weekend.. even if we have to work at it for 24 hours straight LOL.. as for the hen... I think she is feeling a whole lot better.. just came home to her in my kitchen eating the dogs food... and the dog just sitting there staring at her... he was sayin "hey funny lookin dog that's MY FOOD!!"... and happy to report she had laid an egg.. I do think she needs to be seperated from the roo for a while till she at least gets her saddle...[​IMG]

Chicken dust just sticks to everything doesn't it.. it is like it has a bit of oil or something in it as well... you can't even read the labels on my laundry detergent... and I just cleaned up everything last weekend!!!.......

Our new coop has a brooder built right in so this won't happen next time (yeah right)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by