Ok, I caught my chickens getting really close to the road today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by missnu01, Feb 13, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    So what are some nice cheap poultry nets. I don't need anything serious...just a small buffer for the chickens to be redirected away from the road. My chickens are easily swayed to go in the direction you want them to, with minimal blocking...I was thinking maybe some of the bright orange construction fencing...It is bright orange so they should be able to see it. The chickens don't get near the road in the spots they usually wander to, but today they went towards the lower field on our property, and apparently the road is different there. I don't want chickens in the road, or at the neighbors house, and the only thing separating our property from the neighbors is the road...So would you guys think that the construction fencing would do it...And what do you put it up with...what kind of stakes?

2. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    My husband says he would rather spend the extra to put up some metal wire fencing so the neighbors don't hate us with a big orange eyesore right by the road. The metal wire fencing would be better I guess...just more expensive, but longer lasting, so perhaps cheaper in the long run. I found some really really cheap black screen looking stuff called deer block...that I think would be perfect...It is 7 ft by 100ft and is only $18...but it again it is cheap plastic, so it doesn't last too long I would assume. He says we can use the ugly fencing by the woods if we need to...but he doesn't want it by the road. Which makes sense. I was just assuming that people wouldn't care if I use bright orange fencing to keep my poultry from destroying their yard...but it is possible that they would care...Lol. I wouldn't care. But I am not everyone...so I get it. Wow lots more work with the metal fencing, but it will be better in the long run.

3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Now we just need to measure and see how much fencing we are going to need...and how many posts. Another good thing about the metal fencing is that we can put in a gate so we can still park our cars, without having to fence in a car shape...
    What a good husband I have. So full of good ideas. At least he is being helpful towards the chicken process now. He actually seems to be pretty into it. He said he wants chickens that lay different color eggs (easter eggers) and he wants lots of things he can eat...Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by