OK I DONT KNOW IF ThIs IS the RIGHT Spot......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OkieChix, Oct 25, 2010.

1. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    Ok I Hope This Is The Right Spot To Post This, But Anywho On My Way Home From Work I Was Talking On The Phone To My Mom. And She Informed Me That One Of My Bo's Got Killed. I Asked What Happend And She Said That The Neighbor Across The Street Came Over To Let Us Know That There Was A Chicken In There Yard That Was Dead. I Thought Omg. And I Know Eggsactly Who Did It. Our New Neighbors Dogs. They Have A Dobermin And Great Peranise ( I Hope I Spelled That Right) That Get Out On A Daily Basis And Always In My Yard. Harrassing My Dog Myself And My Livestock, As Well As My Small Children. They Just Moved In Maybe Three Weeks Ago They Are Renting The Place. There Is A Big Hole In The Chicken Run. And Im Not The Only One That Has Chickens That Have Been Killed Since They Moved In. The People Down The Street Has Lost 3 Chikens And A Rabbit. When They Moved In We Went Over There And Interduced Our Selves To Them You Know Tryig To Be Nice Neighbors. And We Were Talking And They Let Us Know That At There Previous Place That Theiry Dogs Killed Somebodys Goats And Chicken. We Even Gave Them Eggs. Well Sold Them Really Cheep. But Anywho They Told Us That They Would Make Sure They Couldnt Get Out And Secure Their Dogs So We Wouldnt Have The Problem. Their Dogs Nip My Hands In The Morning And Jump On Me When I Go To My Car. They Have Knocked Me Almost Down On My Back Porch When I Was Taking My Dog Out Side To Put Him On The Cable. They Have Bitten My Dogs Ears Untilthey Are Bleed. I Can Understand Getting Out Every Once In A Great While Because My Dog Does That But I Go Right After Him He Nevers Stays Out More Then A Few Minutes. And He Only Gets Out Because My Little Ones Open The Front Door Or One Of Us Adults (my FatHer Mother And MyselF) Arent Paying Attention As To Where Moocow Is At. Thats My Dog. Lol Moocow. Anywho I Just Rantting I Dont Really Know What To Do. I Have Talked To Their Landlord. Which I Have Know For 2 1/2years Because They Lived There B4. I Know I Could Shoot Them If I Wanted To Because I Live In An Agg. Distric. But I Am An Animal Lover. Ive Called Animal Control But The Dogs Are Gone B4 They Get There. So There Is No Point. Im At My Wits End. Any Ideal Of What I Should Do? Im Tired Of Burying My Pet Chickens.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

First learn to use paragraphs, it would make your post easier to read.

Second, if your neighbor, animal control and landlord won't do anything, there's not much else you CAN do except SSS.
    I would however, highly recommend a good perimeter fence. Putting your dog on a cable is just making him a "sitting duck" to attacks from other dogs, because he can do nothing to get away. Obviously he's already been attacked. I would certainly NOT put my dog in that kind of situation. Get a chainlink kennel if you can't afford to fence your whole yard, or simply fence a small area for him. Sometimes you can get kennels or used fence on Craigslist for a good deal.

If your chickens free range, I would again recommend getting them a good fence. Mine "free ranged" within my perimeter fence, and we never had a dog problem. If they are in a coop/run, then make sure it's of sufficient strength wire (not chicken wire) and maybe add a few strands of electric fence. If the dogs break into the pen, charge the owners a bill for the chickens AND the cost of the pen.

3. Chicken Delight

Chicken Delight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Utah
    I love dogs and also love chickens. If you believe their dogs will keep getting out, then you need to take care of the problem or accept more of your chickens being killed.

What you have described, if I understand it correctly, is that their dogs have killed your chicken and at least another neighbor's chicken. I pulled up your city's municipal code (assuming you live in Broken Arrow, OK as your profile indicates) and it covers this situation very clearly. If you want to stop this and are prepared to deal with an upset neighbor, then you need to call the police or animal control and file a criminal complaint. The police should respond so as to enforce the law of the city and to prevent people like you from taking action themselves. Now that an animal has been killed, this is a very different situation than a couple of presumably harmless dogs running at large. I suspect you would get more of a response now than your earlier calls.

Look here for your city's ordinances: http://library5.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=14015&doc_action=whatsnew

You
    should know that your municipal ordinances provide (I have added the highlights):

Article I, Sec. 5-9. Permitting animals to run or be at large.
    (a) It shall be unlawful and a class C offense for any owner to fail to prevent any animal owned, harbored or kept by him from being at large within the city.
    (b) It shall be unlawful and a class C offense for any owner with an animal at heel to fail to prevent that animal from becoming at large.
    (c) It shall be unlawful and a class C offense for any person to abandon or desert any domestic animal or to permit any such animal to become a stray.
    (d) It shall be unlawful and a class C offense for any person to open any enclosure in which an animal is confined so as to turn such animal at large, or in any other manner to release such animal to roam at large.
    (e) It shall be unlawful and a class B offense for any person to fail or refuse the request of a police department representative to honor a warrant from the court to deliver any animal which:
    (1) Has been declared a nuisance by a court of competent jurisdiction, or by the city council pursuant to normal processes; or
    (2) Is suspected of having or being exposed to rabies; or
    (3) Is a dangerous animal.

Sec. 5-1 Dangerous animal means any animal that:
    (1) Has bitten, attempted to bite, or attacked any person without provocation; or
    (2) Is disposed to attack persons or other animals it may meet.

Sec. 5-20. Confinement of dangerous animals.
    (a) It shall be unlawful and a class A offense for any owner to fail to prevent any fierce, dangerous or vicious animal owned, harbored or kept by him from being at large within the city.
    (b) It shall be unlawful and a class A offense for any owner to fail to prevent any fierce, dangerous or vicious animal owned, harbored or kept by him from assaulting any persons or persons animal.
    (c) It shall be unlawful and a class A offense for any person to take such fierce, dangerous or vicious dog off the premises unless the dog is securely muzzled and controlled by a substantial chain or leash and under the restraint of a responsible person over 16 years of age.
    (d) Any owner of a dangerous animal shall confine it in a proper enclosure and post on the premises a clearly visible warning sign that there is a dangerous animal on the property. Further, the owner of a dangerous animal must maintain a policy of liability insurance, such as homeowner's insurance or surety bond, in the amount of not less than $50,000.00 for personal injuries inflicted by the animal. Violation of this subsection shall be a class A offense.

It appears that these dogs are "dangerous animals" under your city's laws as they are disposed to attack animals they may meet. I would guess the county would have similar laws. They probably killed animals where they lived before. They killed your neighbor's chickens apparently, but have at least killed your chicken and as I understand it the owners have admitted that. That means that 5-9(a), 5-20(a),(b) and probably 5-20(d) have been violated and are continuing to be violated.

That should get their attention and get them to control their animals. I don't know the dynamics of your neighbors, but they could retaliate somehow if you call the police. They could realize the seriousness of it and man up and control their pets. I don't know and am not going to speculate on that.

Once you establish that they are "dangerous animals", then if they run free again, your calls to the police or animal control should be taken more seriously as you can inform them that "dangerous animals" are at large. I believe they have a much quicker response time for dangerous animals than mere strays.

Your choice whether you let more chickens get killed or take action.

Good Luck!

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:If it were me those dogs would be already taking dirt naps. I have zero tolerance for that kind of action.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Capitalize proper nouns and the first word sentences ONLY; not ALL nouns. And as was already said, use paragraphs. Your post is very difficult to read and understand.

Get Out On A Daily Basis And Always In My Yard. Harrassing My Dog Myself And My Livestock, As Well As My Small Children. .... Their Dogs Nip My Hands In The Morning And Jump On Me When I Go To My Car. They Have Knocked Me Almost Down On My Back Porch When I Was Taking My Dog Out Side To Put Him On The Cable. They Have Bitten My Dogs Ears Untilthey Are Bleed.

I'm guessing that you did not go into this much detail when you called animal control. These dogs have the demonstrated potential to SERIOUSLY HARM your children, not to mention you and your animals. I do not know if it is just one of the dogs that is a problem or if both are, but you need to call animal control back and file a complaint. You cannot speak for your other neighbor who lost birds, but you can ask them to also file complaints.

Yes, you should have a fence for your animals to keep them contained, but so should the neighbor's to keep THEIR dogs contained. Until there is action by animal control, call the police EVERY TIME you see the dogs AT LARGE (off their property, and not on a leash). Quite frankly, even if being walked by their owner, unless they are leashed, with the leash in the owners hand, I would call.​

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Not trying to be mean to the responders here, but come on...when did BYC become grammar/punctuation school? Really. Yes, people could "learn to use paragraphs" and only capitalize proper nouns, blah blah blah...but who made you the grammar police?? I read it just fine and was an english major in college. This poster is trying to tell a story, not write a bestselling novel. I would like to commend the op for having the courage to post at all when he or she must know that they may be picked apart, not for the content of their message, but rather for the capitalization included therein. Is this really how we show each other support in stressful times?

OP: my suggestion would be that the next time these dogs show up, "detain" them, if you will, until animal control arrives. You're not being a bad neighbor for wanting your pets to be safe.

7. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I didnt think the intent on advising how to structure a post as being "grammar police"
    as the posts also went on to assist the OP.

People learn by being advised on how's the best way to put a story out there, and on this site its the use of words.
    Same as people being advised to turn cap locks off when they type.

8. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok guys and gals we dont need to be gramatically correct to make a post. We also dont have to deal with our children, and livestock being harrassed! I would not think Twice (And I am an animal LOVER BTW (That is By The Way for the grammar police)about administering a lethat injection of a 22 shell to the cranium of an offender!! Loving animals is one thing. But failure to control your pets is just as much abuse as neglect or abuse

Ernie

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Honestly, I don't think the OP knew that there was anything unusual about capitalizing each word, or that anyone would comment on it. It was a little difficult to read, but no more difficult than the memos my boss sends out. (heh)
    I think you do need to draw a line in the sand now. The loss of this bird needs to be used to help ensure the safety of the rest of your flock. The dogs know that there are fun toys to play with at your house, and maybe you need to go over to the neighbors, and tell them of the other instances that have occurred with your dog being bitten, and your children and yourself menaced. Let them know that this is serious, and that you are doing them a neighborly kindness by telling them, and allowing them to take action before you have to.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Not trying to be mean to the responders here, but come on...when did BYC become grammar/punctuation school? Really. Yes, people could "learn to use paragraphs" and only capitalize proper nouns, blah blah blah...but who made you the grammar police?? I read it just fine and was an english major in college. This poster is trying to tell a story, not write a bestselling novel. I would like to commend the op for having the courage to post at all when he or she must know that they may be picked apart, not for the content of their message, but rather for the capitalization included therein. Is this really how we show each other support in stressful times?

OP: my suggestion would be that the next time these dogs show up, "detain" them, if you will, until animal control arrives. You're not being a bad neighbor for wanting your pets to be safe.

I know.. they're rather annoying and rude. [​IMG]

OP: .. sorry about your birds... I guess that you need to go over to your neighbors house and be firm and tell them that you WILL have to shoot the dogs if they come around again...
    Good luck!​

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by