Ok, I feel a little silly...

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
First rain/hail storm just hit us. Chicks (5 wks old) were outside in their run, but don't have access to the coop yet as we are in the final stages of finishing it. At first it was a gentle rain with thunder, and there is a huge tarp covering about 2/3 of the run. They had a box to hide in with a towel too, plus their food and water. Well, they did great and went about their business... until the hail hit. It was really loud on the tarp and I think that is what scared them so much, but they hauled a** to the gate chirping their little heads off- standing in the rain/hail getting soaked. So I ran out there and put them one by one in the box under the tarp to comfort them, but finally ended up bringing them in. The temps have dropped a bit and they just looked miserable. I'm sure the neighbors had a good laugh at me comforting my babies and running around like "a chicken with it's head cut off". Coop needs to be finished this weekend for sure. Could have been way more comfortable for them and easier for me. Not to mention I could have avoided slippers with mud and chicken poo on them. Do any of you baby your chicks a little too much??

One chick I raised sometimes ended up in bed with me. He would cheep like crazy and I'd feel sorry for him... He'd end up tucked in my t-shirt. Very spoiled, that one!
And I also run outside rescuing chickens when we get storms. I had friends visiting once when a storm broke. I went outside and collected all my moms with their chicks and brought them into the house. Got myself soaked too!
They're worth it!

One chick I raised sometimes ended up in bed with me. He would cheep like crazy and I'd feel sorry for him... He'd end up tucked in my t-shirt. Very spoiled, that one!
And I also run outside rescuing chickens when we get storms. I had friends visiting once when a storm broke. I went outside and collected all my moms with their chicks and brought them into the house. Got myself soaked too!
They're worth it!
Yep, I'm a soaked mess. :) Glad to know I'm not the only one!

lau.gif

Oh I can just picture it!
And yes, I can oh-so-easily see myself doing just that. As a matter of fact, I happen to HAVE a pair of nasty slippers sitting next to the door because I find myself running out the door in my PJ's just often enough to keep them there. Sometimes it's starting the coffee pot and realizing that the horse is in the front yard. "OOPS!" Once it was letting the dogs out and then realizing that someone else's cows were in the front yard! "OH CRAP!" There was the time I looked out the window to see the dogs 'tree' a kitten in the shrubbery. "OH NO!" There was the evening I looked out to see one of the goats with her horns stuck in the fence during a t-storm. She was loosing it and I wasn't far behind her. "Be still! Dag-gone-it Sarah, STOP jumping around! You're gonna get us BOTH stuck!"
So far my chicks are safely tucked in their brooder inside the barn, but I have no doubt that they'll soon be the cause of more nasty wet feet.
th.gif

^^ Good idea, I should keep a pair off flip-flops in summer, and rubber boots in colder times, by the back door. Then I can count on those always be covered with poo. :)

I'm out the door most mornings in my pj's, complete with bed hair, to let the chickens out.

It didn't end with me getting soaked. Went into my bedroom to change and my friend went in with me. Her DH followed after a minute and found me in my undies
roll.png

Well, thank you all. Now I don't feel near as silly as I did. My dad called me to see how the chicks did with the storm and just laughed at me babying them like I did lol. He grew up on a farm with lots of chickens so it was different then raising backyard chicks. But they are like my pets to me.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom