OK.........I feel really really stupid

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KingsCalls, Dec 7, 2007.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I am new to silkies..........and while I was just outside moving some birds(several breeds) to their winter pens and a few to the "to be sold" pens......I was checking all the nest boxes. Ok, here's where I got slapped with the "boy am I stupid" hand. In a nest box for a pen that I had a silkie roo in (yes roo) guess what? You guessed it, 3 eggs......one was very warm! I was sure this guy was a guy!!!! Well, I got to looking at a Blue Silkie roo closer and Yes I noticed a difference. The blue's comb was 3 times as big and ear lobes were much larger also...........The other has a larger comb than all the other hens but hardly any ear lobes....................Come to think of it, I have never heard him crow!

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] SOOOOOOOOO you have a broody roo? [​IMG]

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    [​IMG] Broody Roo.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'll feel even stupider if it was Fred that laid the eggs...

But I swear he looked more like our crowing roo than our egg laying hen...

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Don't take it so hard. Silkies are notorious for trying to confuse their
    human owners. It's their way of abusing you. Put a softball under it's
    butt. Let it hatch that.

6. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Quote:You guessed it.......Fred is a Freda!

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    YUP.... i just posted a similar post tonight. I finally eccepted that all 3 of my splash silkies are boys....then tonight one of them squatted when i toughted it and began thumping its feet. I am still not convinced its a girl now..... oh i give up. Purplechicken must be right......they are out to torture us!!! [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:You guessed it.......Fred is a Freda!

Well, if you don't want to keep her, let us know. Our neighbor freaked out when we said we'd found Fred-a a new home...

9. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Oh no.........I'm keeping her, she is so sweet. Tell your neighbor to get her own! (LOL)

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Actually, we talked them out of getting chickens. They already had 3 dogs & 3 cats at the time we got the peeps.

I just didn't like the idea of her going to another home if you didn't want her.

But I'm glad you're keeping her. Fred-a is a sweetie but just never seemed at one with our flock. And our roo never lavished her with his attentions (weird, huh?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by