1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK! I give up??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spock78, Jun 14, 2007.

1. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    How do you tell when an egg is fertile?
    I know! It's a stupid ?

We have tried to hatch some of our eggs. By day 14 they were still clear/transparent.

How soon will you know that the egg is fertile?

Our Rooster has 9 hens to choose from & seems to not be dicriminate but we aren't having much success.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm, sounds like your roo is not makeing "contact" What breed are they? If they are super feathery, maybe a vent clipping will help him make the target. You will know by day 14 for sure if they are fertile.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Even at day 7 you can see some black spots in the eggs. There are some web sites out there that will show you what you should see-at least that way you;ll know what your looking at.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Clear at day 14, throw the eggs away and start agian. Are these young chickens? Sometimes a young roo misses but he should connect if only by accident sometimes. With 9 hens your roo is not over worked, I keep on roo per 15 hens and I get an average hatch rate of between 80 & 90 %.

5. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Our birds are Production Reds. They are all between 1-2y.o.
    I think you ppl are right, that he's not hitting the mark. He's so funny to watch because it doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing. He's always falling off or head over heels with the hens. LOL!!

They were more or less a rescue. The ppl had hundreds that they were culling out. All the Roos were in one building while all the hens were in another. There were a lot of roos so I have no doubts he may have never seen a hen b4 we got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by