OK, I got the Sportsman... now, I need help on how to use it. HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OK. I got the Sportsman today. I have it cleaned up, and plugged in. What next? I see vent holes on the back. Is that adequate oxygen?

I really don't get it. It looks to me like, if you hatch in this, that the chicks would jump over the sides??? Please give advise!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    No experience here with a cabinet style but I'll meet you over on eBay and we can order some eggs! Lot and Lots of eggs!

Enjoy it, some all-knowing hatcher will be along soon with a real response!

Mary

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

These incubators work great! Open your vents about half way.(in flow & out flow) Some chicks will jump,or spill out, but they're practilly made of rubber. It won't hurt 'em.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    when you get to day 18 stop the egg trays from turning when there level. use them for hatching. or you can build a hatcher or buy one. my homemade sportsman has a hatching tray in the bottom

5. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    I just got a new Dickey and there are 2 hatching trays with lids/I think You are supposed to have 1 hatching tray on the bottom and I have heard of the chicks getting out and someone suggested making a lid out of wire mesh? I am sure someone w/a sportsman will help I know I saw a thread about this exact thing i will try and find.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I think I mentioned when you bought it that it does not have a hatching tray on the bottom. You can hatch in the turning trays, as long as the turner is off [​IMG] They will jump out though and possibly get stuck. I'd recommend using one of your Hovabators as your hatcher and just incubating in this baby [​IMG] Once you get used to the Sportsman, you'll love it. Room temp DOES need to be stable though, within a few degrees or it will fluctuate.

I think these are the instructions you need to print out and use https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/1202 1250 Cabinet model instructions.pdf

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Mine is the 1202, which does have the hatcher drawer, but I'd love a seperate hatcher...which is why I e-mailed about your Hovabators~LOL I'd rather just incubate in mine and keep the hatching in a seperate unit, where I won't be fiddling with the humidity every few days. I'm hatching every 7 days or so right now, so I have to bump the humidity for 3 days of 7 each week and monitor the turner VERY closely close to hatching. A Sportsman and a Hovabator would be the best of both worlds! [​IMG]

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Kathy,

I have NO EXPERIENCE with this what-so-ever......However (being unable to refrain from putting in "my 2-pesos worth) this is WHAT I WOULD DO.....:

I would "incubate" in the 2 upper shelves, then "hatch" on the lower shelf and the bottom.

JUST my GUESS, [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Nice incubator....You can put a hatching tray in the bottom......We have 2 home made cabinets and they really are great....

And then smile, next order eggs from me!!!! [​IMG] I'd love to help support your new hatching habit.

Enjoy that nice incubator and have a blessed and happy day!

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Also looks like you'll need to get some new humidity pads (Can get from GQF) and did you get the tubing and humidity pail as well? If not, you could probably adapt a large bucket and get tubing...

Have a great time with this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by