Ok. I guess I have to do this.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daystardoberman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi everyone. I've been raising Dobermans for 9 years now and I wanted my dogs to have the best nutrition, so I decided to add eggs to their diet. Silly me I thought raising chickens would be cheap and easy...It is easy, but lol, not cheap, but now I'm hooked. I converted and old stall and corral into my coop, and bought some chickees, and they are so much fun. I have Buff Orpingtons, Golden Sex Links( my favorites) Silver Lace Wyandottes, a skitzy Leghorn and Production Reds. One of the reds is a rooster and he is pretty. I do have some Plymouth Barred on the way from the hatchery, too. Most of my pullets have begun laying and the dogs are benefitting from their efforts. I have to admit the eggs ARE better tasting than the store boughts, and a few of my dogs have taken up bird watching as a hobby. 2 strands of hot wire keeps everyone where they belong. So any advice is welcome. So far I'm doing pretty well, but my Silvers are getting plucked in the back. Anyone know why it's only the Silvers? I put that purple Kool Aid smelling lotion on them, the Rooster Booster, but it's not working all that well.....

2. laceyharrison

laceyharrison New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi there! They are establishing pecking order. Literally. They peck and if they see blood they can go a little nuts but not always. There is a tar like substance you can put on the bare skin of the pecked chickens and it stops the other ones from doing it. Can't remember what it's called though.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site. I so love dobermans! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by