Ok I have a chick hatched now tell me why its

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Denece&Lacey, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Denece&Lacey

Denece&Lacey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Its sleeping on its back in the incubator. I thought it was dead this morning. It hatched Saturday and I didnt want to put it out in the brooder yet because none of the rest have hatched. Any idea? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Today is Tuesday, you need to get that chick out of the bator and give it food and water...thats kinda long to leave a chick, 3 days at the most in an incubator...might be weak by now....

3. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Somebody had told me I could leave it that long. I didnt want to put it in the brooder by itself. I was waiting on more to hatch. We are feeding and watering it now.

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I agree with Tuffoldhen, he needs to be in a brooder with food and water. If nothing else has hatched you can put a stuffed animal in there with him or a little mirror of some kind so he want be by himself. Good rule of thumb.....when the chick is fluffy you can take it out of the bator. Goodluck!

5. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Thanks, this is our first chick. I just didnt want to take him out too early!! I guess the others are probably not going to hatch today is 25!!

6. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    how is it doing?

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Have you tried candling the other's. I would give then another day or so.

8. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Yes I threw a few out that hadnt developed. There are still 6 that look like they developed so I am holding out a little longer. I was told the one sleeping on its back could be sick. I dont want to put it out with other chickens even in the brooder until I know for sure if its something that could be catchy!!! My daughter loves it already so I dont know what to do!!

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You need to take the chick out of the bator if you haven't by now...it's probably weak from not having water and starter/grower.....it should not have anything "catchy"....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some of them roll over on their back and can't get up. Because they can't get up they struggle and die. Roll that chick over and help it get on its feet. If it were sick with disease all of your eggs and hatched chicks would already be exposed and infected. Get it in a warm brooder when it starts to get dry. Get them chick crumbles and water ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by