ok- I have a singleton who is panicking & refusing to eat on it's own

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsmarkham, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mrsmarkham

mrsmarkham Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Due to incubator problems, I only had one chick hatch out of 24. It seems to be healthy, but tends to run around the brooder screeching it's head off instead of settling down to scratch, eat or drink. I have been making sure it gets water, but I can't force feed it.

Any suggestions? I have a couple of Cochin hens, but no one is broody at the moment. I am open to any suggestions, as I really want to keep this Lt Brahma Standard chick alive.

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Put in a feather duster or a fluffy stuffed animal for him to cuddle up to, and a warm water bottle or snuggle safe. Unless you can carry him around all day! Any chance of getting a chick from someone else to keep him company?

3. mrsmarkham

mrsmarkham Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Honestly, it IS snuggled up under my shirt collar right now LOL. But I don't know if any one in my area is expecting chicks or has chicks right now. I have some due Christmas Eve, but the way this incubator has been I am not holding out hope of anyone hatching. Temp keeps fluctuating widely (think the thermostat is frying out). So I will just cross my fingers and hope.
    I have tried tapping the food with my fingers to interest it in eating, but it isn't working so far. It was a late Friday afternoon hatch, so it isn't in danger of starving just yet, but I am starting to worry.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Put a mirror in with him/her. It will make him think there is another chick. I hope you hatch 1 more so he can have a real live buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by