1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok I have a stupid question LOL .....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have started to hatch eggs ( yet ) and I do have a rooster but he is a banty with standard girlfriends- so I know there is nothing going on there LOL

My question is this -
    When your rooster does the " deed " does that mean the very next egg that hen lays can go in the bator? Do they have to do the " deed " for every fertile egg or is once enough and she will lay a few fertile eggs ?

sorry for the dumb question but when I first got chickens no one ever explained the " birds and bees " to me about them LOL

Julie

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

No, unless he's extremely potent...
    I would say to wait for a week or two and make sure he's hitting the bullseye before I started trying to hatch.

3. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I dont think Clyde and his flock of girls will ever have babies - unless he finally shows some love to the little banty hen in there with them LOL

Here is Clyde with one of the Silver laced cochins

[​IMG]

so going on the size difference I know there will be no babies LOL
    I was just wondering how everyone knows that they eggs they are putting in thier bators - will be babies ?
    I plan on getting a standard rooster for my girls this spring and moving Bonnie and Clyde into thier own yard and getting Clyde some girls his own size this spring

Julie

4. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    My question is this -
    When your rooster does the " deed " does that mean the very next egg that hen lays can go in the bator? Do they have to do the " deed " for every fertile egg or is once enough and she will lay a few fertile eggs ?"

Not the very next egg, but soon after that if he has "the right stuff".

I will suggest that you learn how to candle your eggs, DW does mine and had a really high hatch rate after she did it. Two reasons to learn, one so not to waste eggs, if they are not fertile then eat or sell them, and two, because an un-hatched egg after 18-21 days is a emotional downer.

5. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Maybe I misunderstood this but Banty roosters WILL mount standard hens as much as they will bantys. [​IMG]

My two banty roos are more hormonal (for choice of a better word) than my standard roo. :|

If he hasn't yet, wait, it's just a matter of time! [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

After a good maiting, she can continue to lay fertile eggs for about 3 weeks too.

7. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:OK THANK YOU! I have to admit I didn't know this part... [​IMG]

SO, see? There are no stupid questions C4C some of us have the same question (or don't know the answer) but are too afraid to ask...[​IMG]

Thanks for the info Silkie... [​IMG]

Thanks for the question C4C. [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro [​IMG]

8. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    I'm so glad someone else had that question! My co-workers asked me that yesterday, and I didn't know! I don't have a rooster. Thanks! [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We have a Silkie (banty) roo, and he hits the bullseye on one of our BO's, so babies are possible between banties and standards. The BO in love with DH is laying infertile eggs though [​IMG]

10. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Clyde has been doing the " Dance of love " towards a few of the big girls and I have noticed him grabbing one or two of them by the neck feathers - and only once he jumped up there and looked like he was a rodeo clown on a bucking horse !! LOL ( he did stay on for 8 seconds before falling off ) He is only about 6-7 months so I know he is still a " baby ".
    I really dont except babies from him and the big girls - but if he manges to do - the deed before I get him into his own yard with some banty hens that will be fine with me. ( would be kinda cute to see what the babies would look like )

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by