Ok, I have become addicted, try #2...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cvstable, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cvstable

cvstable Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    After my first attempt at incubation (5 out of 22 made it), I am going for round 2. I ordered 6 lavender Orps and 6 black. This time I am letting the eggs rest for 24 hours big side up. I want to attempt the dry method this go round. I understand 20-25% humidity is OK until day 18? Vent plug is out, leave and candle until day 7? I have been using a LED light, any other suggestions???

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Chicken are so addicting.

I was not sure how experienced you were with chickens in general, But thought, I would add the below link. It gives tips to working with shipped eggs. May help your ratio to hatch.

This link (towards the bottom) has a section on shipped eggs https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Unfortunately, I have not tried a dry hatch before. So not sure what to tell you there. But here is a link for them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

And lastly, there are a bunch of us incubating eggs now if you would like to join us.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846539/jan-feb-2014-hatch-a-long/460#post_12637198

3. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    I'm dry hatching right now and so far what I've read humidity should be between 25 to 35% both red plugs are out and monitor air cell at day 7 14 and 18 mines staying steady at 30% only had to add a spoon full of water once and I use the flashlight app on my phone to candle eggs so far I'm on day 14 and 45 out of 47 eggs are right on track one egg I dropped and one egg was infertile hope this helps you I did a lot of research before I decided to dry hatch and this is my first time incubating at all hope this helps

4. cvstable

Nov 10, 2013
    Thanks guys, never thought about using the flashlight app on the phone, great idea. Just put the eggs in the incubator this morning before work, will see how it goes!

5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Good Luck!

6. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Dry incubation method link is in my signature... short version is:

Day 1-18: 25-45% add no water, rely on egg evaporation to create humidity; only add a tsp of water if it dips below 25%

First pip: increase humidity to 55-65% - some people increase humidity on day 19 regardless of pips but I prefer to wait until pips happen

forced air: 99.5F
    still air: 101F

7. cvstable

Nov 10, 2013
    Thanks for all the great info! Everyone is so helpful on this site :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by