1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK I have got my coop built. Need to add hardware cloth then a roost and ramp.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Janie hall, May 20, 2016.

1. Janie hall

Janie hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    I have 15 chicks and 4 ducks[​IMG]

2. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Can an anyone tell me how to do an easy ramp from coop to run?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've done various types of ramps here...ones with rungs and ones without rungs. What I like best, and what is simplest (in my opinion) is just tacking scrap shingle material along a wide plank/board (overlapped a bit, just like shingles on a roof). It's very easy for the birds to get grip/traction and it's easy to hose/clean off. For chickens I've just used a 6" deckboard (shingle material sticking out on sides about an inch, so more like 8" total). I'm not a duck person, so don't know for sure - but would think maybe a wider ramp would be better for ducks??? So if you don't have wider planks, maybe two boards side-by-side???

Oh...and I just use a single screw through the plank, angled, into the side of the coop to hold in place. If you want better stability, nail or screw a small resting strip of board in place to rest the ramp on, and then screw the ramp on.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Wow thanks so much. This is a huge help

5. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    We will be put hardware cloth on this morning!

6. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Thanks golden feathers here is what i came up with[​IMG]

7. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Your doorway is so low you probably don't need a ramp, the chookens could jump up there. Mine can even jump up to my door which is about a metre off the ground, when they have a mind to.

8. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    I figured when they get older they could get in. But, the r still small.[​IMG]

9. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Ok i have to admit i didnt sleep well last night, as it was firdt night for my chicks n thr new coop. Going out in 30 minutes to let them out. I checked on them tsice in the night.[​IMG]

10. Janie hall

Apr 8, 2016
    Shawneetown, Illinois
    Also can anyone tell me what kind of cochin i have two of the pretty ones[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by