OK I have new questions - candling questions please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    when I left at 1:00 to run some errands the temps were reading 99.3 and when I got home at 3:30 the temps were reading 112 - I am only on day 3 - Did I kill my babies???? I have 5 duck eggs in there - this is my first time doing a hatch- I was so worried something like would happen.
    I have a water wiggler with the probe in it - does that mean I cooked my babies [​IMG]
    I feel sick to my stomach right now

Julie

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Does the water wiggler read 112?

3. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well I have the aucrite with a probe and the probe end is in the water wiggler - and it was reading 112

right now it is reading 104

I think they maybe be goners [​IMG]

Julie

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Possibly, but I would not give it up yet. Wait a few more days, then candle and then you can know for sure.

Good luck

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If the wiggler reads that high it's been high for awhile. I agree that I'd wait for a few days until you can candle before you toss them.

6. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    DH wants to know if we opened up one egg - could we tell if the rest are going to be alright?
    I have 5 eggs in there and these are from my own ducks.

Julie

7. tazcat70

I don't think so, not on day 3. If you were farther along you would see a heart beating, but then you could just candle and see that.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with Tazcat......I'd just wait and candle in 4 days.

9. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    thank you both - when I came home and saw the temps that high I freaked out - thinking my god I cooked my babies. I was so scaried to hatch anything because of things like this.
    I will try to be positive and hope like crazy that at least one or two of them make it alright.

again thank you so much

Julie

10. tazcat70

You are very welcome, we are all here to help each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by