ok i have to ask because i can't figure it out. what breed please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grunt soldier, May 8, 2011.

1. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    ok i am asking because they were suppose to be golden comets but i am starting to wonder because they were all suppose to be females but i am starting to question that also lol. i am really just worried that TSC messed up and i got a couple meat birds vs laying birds. anyways here they are let me know if you can.

the one in the back i believe is a golden comet. the 2 in front of her i am not sure and the one to the farthest left i don't think is either and i believe he might just be a roo lol

[​IMG]

here is a couple semi close ups. i think and just guessing they are 8-9 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

pretty sure this is a roo but am looking for advice on that also
    [​IMG]

this is a buckeye i think or so i was told by the breeder and he is suppose to be a roo and he acts the part but still curious
    [​IMG]

and just another pic to see them and possibly help
    [​IMG]

and just for gp i am pretty sure these are easter eggers but figured i might as well ask all at once
    [​IMG]

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

2. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    the white and red one looks like there red sexlinks

3. grunt soldier

Apr 5, 2011
    Quote:ok hopefully they will do well in the cold and lay well. as long as they aren't meat birds i am happy because at TSC They had them all right next to each other and i was hoping some of the cornish hens or whatever didn't get tossed in

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    The red/white ones are red sex links and yes the other one looks like an EE,

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    They all look like layers (and females) to me.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    REd sex and Pullets ..with thelast an EE see the green legs..

7. grunt soldier

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks. I was sure the ones are Easter eggers but not the others. So u guys think they are all gens?

8. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I love the Golden Comet Breed. So much, that the breed makes up my entire egg producing flock! They are friendly, quiet birds that started laying no later than 21 weeks old. I ordered them from a Hatchery about three years ago and had the same problem you have.....the older they got the less alike some appeared. I had three that grew up to be almost identical triplets and three that all looked different. I even thought one was a rooster even though he was red. Then I did some research and found out that there was no way to predict the exact way that any sex-link chicken would feather out.

The combination of breeds used to produce them only guarantee that when they are born they can be color-sexed. Not all sex-link chickens look the same and there is no way to make a breed standard if they grow up to be different. (the APA does not recognize them for this reason) One of my hens has a head that is completely white and another is VERY light in colro. Another has brown specks in her feathers and is darker than the rest. I would only panic if one starts to crow!!!! (Then I may reconsider my own answer here)

All of your chicks look like Golden Comet (or Red Sex-Link) pullets to me. My chicks feathered out in a similar way. You will love them!!!

Timothy from KY

9. grunt soldier

Apr 5, 2011
    Quote:awesome i appreciate it. they are much friendlier than my easter eggers lol and they love some worms. i appreciate everyones response and help. i am hoping i only have 1 roo and the breeder told me the buckeye was a roo or at least he thought it was so lets hope so. i want one roo to go along with the girls. again thanks everyone

10. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:awesome i appreciate it. they are much friendlier than my easter eggers lol and they love some worms. i appreciate everyones response and help. i am hoping i only have 1 roo and the breeder told me the buckeye was a roo or at least he thought it was so lets hope so. i want one roo to go along with the girls. again thanks everyone

I mix my girls with a New Hampshire red rooster who weighs 13 lbs. The resulting offspring are hens that weigh 9-11 lbs and Roosters that weigh 13 plus lbs. The interesting thing is that you can expect offspring around the same size. The hens lay around six eggs a week, and yours should too. Both of our mix breed chickens will be the almost perfect dual-purpose chicken! Best of luck my friend. Here is a picture of my six girls that I took today. They are all different except three, the two lighter ones on the ground and the hen on the roost in the middle are identical almost exactly. The other hen on the roost is very deep red with a white head and tail, and the other is such a light shade of red she looks almost buff. This is what I was talking about in my first post. See what pretty girls you have?

My Flock:
    [​IMG]

Tim [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by