OK, i have to vent...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marcuscarr, Feb 21, 2008.

1. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    I have a neighbor that has a Lab/Pit mix.

About 6 months ago, this dog, and her other two slaughtered 10 of my chickens. I called animal control, reported it, and she wrote me a check for $500 in damages. She also promised to keep the dogs locked up.

Fast forward to a few days ago, the Lab/Pit mix gets into my coop and kills my entire flock, save one. I find evidence of it the next morning and follow the tracks, straw and feathers (it snowed lightly the evening before, so this was really easy) and I end up at her backdoor and dog pen.

The next day I explain to her that I lost 23 hens. I break it down for her and explain that I get just over a dozen eggs a day, they sell for $3 a dozen. That's $100 a month. It will take me 6 months and about $200 in food to raise another flock. So I am out about $800, not including electric, straw, water etc.

She says she is a single mom and doesn't have that kind of money...ok, I can understand that...I offer to split the damages, I take a $400 hit, and she writes me a check for $400. She agrees.

The next morning, I find an empty envelope with a message written on it says there is no way I could fit 23 chickens in an 8'x8'x8' coop and that she will only pay for one chicken.

Now that my integrity has been questioned...I am pretty unhappy. In actuality, I lost 26 hens and a beautiful Wheaton rooster. They all fit nicely in the coop. The reason I was only able to claim 23 chicken is that I could only find 23 corpses (and photographed them).

Any way, I confront her and show her the pictures and she finally writes the $400 check.

I am starting my flock over again, and building a concrete/chainlink/metal roofed coop and run this spring so there is no way a dog can get in. I really don't want to shoot this dog because she is doing what comes naturally to her, but she has cost me a lot of time, money and heartache already. I loaded slugs in the 870 last night and I plan to put a baby monitor in the chicken coop. If the dog comes back I think it's time to end this problem.

Am I being unfair? Have I given the dog owner a reasonable number of chances to correct the problem?

Done venting...feel better now.

2. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    You're not being unfair at all. Twice now her dog has killed your chickens. I think tht is more than enough chances for her to be warned that she needs to do something about her dog.

If you don't think she is the type to retaliate, you can tell her straight up that if the dog is caught on your property again, you will shoot it. If you think she might retaliate, then employ the 3 sss's (shoot, shovel, shhh)

Sorry for your loss.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I hhave to agree. this is twice in a row this has happened. I would have told her next time this happens again I will have no choice but to shoot the dog on site

4. marcuscarr

Jul 2, 2007
    She wouldn't retaliate. In fact, she breaks down in tears when in happens, and she has paid up $900 in damages, without animal control forcing her to.

That's why this is a difficult situation. When it happens, she is trying to do the right thing. I wish she would find another home for the dog, which is probably what this will eventually come to if I don't shoot it first.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    i know its hard but she has to know that this is happening and she has to act. its her responsibility to keep the dogs penned up.

6. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    You're not being unfair at all. Twice now her dog has killed your chickens. I think tht is more than enough chances for her to be warned that she needs to do something about her dog.

If you don't think she is the type to retaliate, you can tell her straight up that if the dog is caught on your property again, you will shoot it. If you think she might retaliate, then employ the 3 sss's (shoot, shovel, shhh)

Sorry for your loss.

I agree also...but if you haven't done so already...cash the check first..then tall her you will shoot the dog if it returns. Otherwise you might end up with a canceled check.​

7. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I really don't buy this sympathic bull about being a single mom. If she has the money to shell out at least $900.00 for what her dog does, she should have the money to properly house her dog.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Could YOU get in trouble w/ the authorities for shooting the dog where you liue?? I KNEW a guy once who got hit w/ 15K in fines, 6 mths jail, & 1 yr comm svc when he shot a tomcat w/ a BB gun. (The tom was keeping their newborn daughter up all night!) Maybe you could scatter a whole lot of cayenne around the coop first?? (LOVE your quotes btw!)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Shoot, shovel, shut up, and be done with it. If she is too poor and inconsiderate to keep her dog locked up and not pay for damages, then she does not deserve it and, according to Idaho law anyway, you are well within your rights to dispose of it without liability to you, if it harrassing livestock on your property. I would shoot every dog that comes and harrasses your chickens. The baby monitor is a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  10. marcuscarr

Jul 2, 2007
    After it happened the first time, she did put up a chainlink fence to house the dogs in and ran a hot wire around the inside of it.

Animal control has already told me that I am within my legal rights to shoot the dog if it is...

1. On my property
    2. The bullet will not cross the path of a governement maintained road, or enter another persons property.
    3. The dog is actively killing or trying to kill livestock.

It would actually go more like this. I would whistle, the dog would come over to me and roll over belly up. Nice dog and doesn't know he is doing wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by