ok, I know I was wrong, but need advice now...HELP, Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blkwdw, Jun 18, 2011.

1. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    My babies were hatching in my Hovabator and doing great, but the temp kept creeping up til it was 102, i tried adjusting it down, but it seemed like the more babies, the higher it went..so, I raised the lid slightly and took out 10 babies leaving the other 6 eggs inside, temp went back to 99.5-100 and humidity stayed at 70%..the problem/question is 3 of the eggs had pipped with one having his beak sticking out.. no more progress in the 2 hours since i took out the babies. Temp and humidity is good. In removing the babies, did I also remove the stimulation to encourage the others to finish? how do I know if I shrinkwrapped it? I know I shouldn't help, but if I caused this problem, it is not a genetically weak chick. the eggs have been pipped for about 4 hrs...just let it go and wait? The next hatch, I absolutely won't touch, but then what to do about rising temps?

2. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    [​IMG]
    the top right corner has the pip with beak

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I can't give you much help on how the chick will do....

But I'm glad to share some advice that was given to me - and that is:

Whenever I have to open the 'bator during hatching, I take the 'bator into the bathroom, plug it in, shut the door, and turn the shower on high/hot for about 5-7 minutes (longer if you have a big bathroom)....until the humidity is so high in there that it's fogging the mirrors - so high that you can SEE the steam. THEN I open the 'bator & do what I need to do and close it - then return the 'bator to where it normally goes.

It's worked for me every time.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    The little guy and another died in their shells ;(
    2 others hatched out just fine.. I will NEVER open during a lockdown again!!!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I really don't think the chicks died because you opened the incubator. It just happened. I always think of my broodies, they don't go into lock down. I always take my chicks out as they hatch and put them in the brooder. Some eggs just don't hatch.

6. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    [​IMG]
    At least I have 12 sweet little peepers, thanks for your input

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You didn't hurt them by opening the hatcher, especially if the humidity was at 70%. I keep mine at 45% during hatching and it will climb a little as each chick hatches. Any hoo! I open my hatcher to take babies out, to check the progress, and as long as the humidity doesn't drop dramatically, no problem. I always have a warm cup of water next to me when I do it and sometimes will add a little water first to counter act opening the hatcher lid.

I don't take the hatcher in the bathroom, because I think the josteling is more dangerous than a little humidity loss. Besides there is the chance of too much humidity that will cause chicks to drown before they hatch.

Lanae

8. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    Would it have been harmful to leave the newborns in with temps at 102? Not too mention what the high temp was doing to the eggs.. As far as jostling the eggs, think the chicks were doing much more than I ever would have it was like bumper cars in there [​IMG]

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Chicks do seem to like a little game of bowling. Its funny to watch. My hatcher will get to 102 everyonce in a while and I can turn it down, I worry if it gets above that. I usually take my chicks out when they are fluffy and dry. I keep my brooder next to the hatcher so it is a quick little operation.

Lanae

10. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Cute little buggers.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by