Ok I know these guys are roo's but....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I know these two guys are roo's but I was origionally told that one of them was Arocauna, and the other was Amerocauna... I think one of them is EE but which one? Can you tell?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated... Thanks..

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think they are both EEs. I think the leg color of the first bird is called willow, and I do not think either breed is supposed to have that color (experts, correct me if I am wrong please!), whereas EEs can have any color they want...if I had to guess what kind of EE, I would guess he has some RIR in him...

Nothing about either bird says auracana, and they are so hard to come by that you basically HAVE to get them from a breeder, and if you (or he) had one, you would know. I also think that auracanas have tufts, and not muffs (though they can come clean faced), and they don't have such heavy bodies as either of your roos I don't think. (any experts, please stop me if I am giving out bad info!)

Your second roo is pea combed, but clean faced...his yellow legs (and your description of breed) leads me to believe that he too is an EE.

3. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    They both look like EEs to me too. Araucana's do not have tails, which both of yours do. I'm no expert on Americanas, but I suspect that since the person that sold you the "Araucana" didn't know anything about the breed, he/she likely also does not know much about Americanas, so I wouldn't trust that either.

1 person likes this.
  4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Araucanas are tailless and have tufts growing on the side of their face. Ameraucanas have tails and have beards/muffs. EEs are birds that have Ameraucana/Araucana parentage, and most of the time lay blue/green eggs. You can go to Feathersite.com to see some good pictures of all 3.

The first roo pictured has a beard, but I don't think its an Ameraucana because its red. Most likely an EE, maybe some RiR or Buckeye parentage?
    The second does not have a beard, almost looks more like a partridge chanteler (sp?) . But could just be a beardless EE.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I thought auracanas could come clean faced, and sometimes they are not rumpless either...

6. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop

They can, but they are not the right color either. The second is also too heavy bodied, that why I suggested Chanteler. I know some hatcheries sell them.

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I also told OP that I thought both were EEs, but I wanted to make sure we put that info out there for anyone who doesn't know about the auracana breed...to make a blanket statement that they will be rumpless and tufted may lead someone to believe that ALL auracanas are rumpless and tufted, and they may not realize the intricacies of the breed [​IMG]

8. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    There is a lot of confusion when someone posts pictures of a non-US Araucana too. They have tails, muffs, and crests!

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oooh thats true! Funky chickens!

OP, I think you have two EE roos, and you should put them over some brown egg layers, and make green eggs! I had an EE hen named Starla once...she laid the prettiest mint green eggs you have ever seen! They looked like mint chocolate chip ice cream! MMMM

10. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok thank you.... I guess I have 8 EE hens then also lol... Figures, oh well, we are enjoying the multi-colored eggs... I really appreciate your input [​IMG]. Some of my hens are smaller and lighter in body but that could just be because they are hens right? Thanks again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by