ok i know this is going to sound stupid....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by americana-chick, Aug 7, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    but what does not hardy mean?

2. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    I think it means that they're a light bird, not able to keep itself warm enough in the colder winters.

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    hardy means, like if someone says, ( this breed is hardy for winter) means that that breed does well in the climate.

or vis versa

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    hardy-capable of surviving severely unfavorable conditions as cold weather.

So not hardy means they will have trouble surviving in less than ideal conditions.

5. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    a couple of my chickens were listed as hardy... well thats great! i am going to have to pack down the coop with extra sidding, a light, and every thing like that to get ready for winter. thanks!

6. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    ok so like ameraucanas are extremly hardy so they wont do good in the winter or well?

7. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    just the opposite! Hardy means they will do better in cold weather than a non-hardy bird.

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL a bird that is NOT HARDY(non-hardy) needs you to buy it a fur coat. Like a hot house orchid, or a tropical fish.

A hardy bird can use the down coat that God gave it.

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

it doesnt necessarily have to do with cold, it cold just be a weak breed that easily dies in less than perfect conditions. For example my old mille fleur's i'd describe as not hardy, they always died so easily.

10. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    great so if i dont lock up my mille flurs in the winter they might die?! i dont know what to do... do you think they will be smart enough to get inside the chicken coop if they are cold? the rest of my birds should do well but now i am SOOO woried about my mille flurs! it is downporing were i am and all the chickens are outside in the rain except my ameraucanas, one of my rhode islandred hens, and all the older roos! the mille flurs arent going in... but i guess if i could get the other chickens to go in maybe they would follow...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by