OK, I know we needed rain, but my coop/run is flooded!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sjisty, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    It's been a pretty dry year here in central Florida, but it's been pouring all day today. I have two mama hens with babies - their coops are flooded. My serama hen and her two babies were standing on floating hay! My main runs are under water and my grow-out pen has about 2 inches of water in it.

So, now outside in a cage on my screened-in porch is my serama and her 2 babies, a big tub with 5 partridge Brahma 4-week-old chicks, and another cage overstuffed with about 25 Partridge Brahmas between 1 and 3 weeks old. In my living room is another big tub with 5 cochins and 2 Brahmas, about 5 weeks old and another tub with two just hatched chicks (they were already in anyway). Last but not least, Chrissie and her five 3-week-old chicks are on the front porch in a cage high and dry.

Hubby is outside in the rain digging a drainage ditch and I'm just out of the shower after being soaked to the skin! They're talking rain all week and my house is well overcrowded with chickies that are going to get pretty smelly pretty fast, but the poor guys were all standing in rain, some of them up to their bellies!

By the way, all my adult chickens are on the front porch staying dry and pooping all over my porch - they won't go in their coops because they don't want to get their feet wet!

Rain, rain go away ...

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My run gets a little muddy too, but yours sounds like a swap. I know the rain is needed but I sure hope it stops soon.

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hey - send some of that down here! We have only gotten 9/10 of an inch since 4:00am this morning. It has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dry here lately. I have watched the radar for the last couple of months and you guys a little north of me have been getting some rain, but NOT here - it is always north of us!

Parts of my backyard are a dust bowl and the grass looks awful - we need more rain! Not a flood, just more rain.

Sjisty - sorry you are flooding, hope hubby is able to dry up those coops for you. [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We get a little muddy when it rains, too, but it has been coming down in buckets all day here in Brooksville. I have never seen it this bad in the three years we've been here!

5. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    hehehhe glad we moved form fla 3 years ago hahhahah you all might just need a boat hahahhaha

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Obviously, you've a task ahead of you. Seems you will have to raise the coop. Add an 8" block under each corner? Something like that?
    If it happens once, it'll happen again.

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:It's been raining all day at my house.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Raining here on the coast all day no too. My silly birds are out running around in the rain! Good luck drying out, our run has a very slight slope so it doesn't have standing water.

9. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    We had a hurricane force winds and rain + Hail yesterday in South Alabama.... My chickens were none too pleased to be stuck in the coop all day.

10. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    My eleven hens and one roo have been out in the rain all day today, they lookd like drowned rats. Is it normal for them to stay out in the rain or do they maybe not like the hen house? They sleep in there and lay eggs in there fine but don't go in during the rain.....seems odd to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by